Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
anhtuan

Default image hyperlink in word is not opening in IE

I have noticed recently that direct image URLs (i.e. hyperlinks directly to
..jpg or .gif files on web pages) in WORD are not working like they should.
When I write a Word Doc. and paste in a hyperlink directly to an online image
(like an animated gif) and then I click on that link it opens up in Photo
Editor when it should be opening up in my browser.

How do I change this back? I just burned hours trying to fix this...driving
me nuts

thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Windows Explorer maintains a list of file extensions and the associated
application. You currently have GIF associated with Photo Editor. If you
want GIF associated with IE, you need to tell Explorer that (which you can
do, through Tools Internet Options). There's no "like they should" about
it.

"anhtuan" wrote in message
I have noticed recently that direct image URLs (i.e. hyperlinks directly to
.jpg or .gif files on web pages) in WORD are not working like they should.
When I write a Word Doc. and paste in a hyperlink directly to an online
image
(like an animated gif) and then I click on that link it opens up in Photo
Editor when it should be opening up in my browser.

How do I change this back? I just burned hours trying to fix
this...driving
me nuts

thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
anhtuan

Hi Jezebel,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. What you suggested was one of the
first things I checked. I actually have the .GIF extension associated to
ACDSEE as well as my other image formats. The problem only happens in Word.
Outside of Word double clicking on a GIF opens in ACDSEE as usual. But click
on a URL in Word that is a hyperlinked directly to an image file (in this
case a GIF) opens in Photo Editor rather than IE.

Perhaps this example will explain it better. Let's say there is this URL
www.testthis.com/test.gif Now clicking on this URL should launch IE and show
the GIF image. But if I take this URL and paste it into a Word doc and then
click on it and Photo Editor is launched and the GIF is shown in there rather
than in IE. This happens wherther the diretc image link is a GIF or JPG.
But URLs that are HTML such as www.testthis.com/test.html or just
www.testthis.com all launch IE and run as normal.

Hope this clarifies the problem.

Thanks!

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Using Hyperlinks in Mail Merge IF...THEN...ELSE Statements Mark V Mailmerge 8 November 30th 04 01:31 PM