Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
wolffrj wolffrj is offline

Default Word 2007 Watermarks

I am new to Word 2007 and have been trying to get an understanding of how the
watermarks work.

I have an 800 page document divided into 50 different chapters, each chapter
has its own header. The document is now due for revision and the revision
must be marked DRAFT.

From what I have gathered I must set the watermark into section 1, copy it,
then scroll through the remaining 49 chapters and paste the word draft into
each header?

In Word 2003 I simply clicked the DRAFT button...There has to be a better
way/workaround.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I don't believe the functionality has been changed. If you insert the DRAFT
watermark when there is just one section, or before unlinking the headers of
the sections, then it will appear in all sections, but since the watermark
is a graphic anchored to the header, it is logical that it will affect only
a given section if headers are unlinked.

Here's a possible workaround: if your section headers are different but the
footers are still linked, cut the DRAFT watermark from the header and paste
it into the footer. It should then repeat in every section.

http://word.mvps.org

"wolffrj" wrote in message
I am new to Word 2007 and have been trying to get an understanding of how
the
watermarks work.

I have an 800 page document divided into 50 different chapters, each
chapter
has its own header. The document is now due for revision and the revision
must be marked DRAFT.

From what I have gathered I must set the watermark into section 1, copy
it,
then scroll through the remaining 49 chapters and paste the word draft
into
each header?

In Word 2003 I simply clicked the DRAFT button...There has to be a better
way/workaround.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Another solution for you. If you are using different Headers solely because
the chapter name has changed, you do not need to unlink the headers.

The solution is to use the StyleRef field in the Headers and reference it to
the Chapter Heading style. The StyleRef field looks for the nearest
occurrence of the references style on or preceding a page. So as you start a
new chapter with a new Chapter Title, the header changes automatically.
Adding DRAFT will now populate the whole book.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"wolffrj" wrote in message
I am new to Word 2007 and have been trying to get an understanding of how
the
watermarks work.

I have an 800 page document divided into 50 different chapters, each
chapter
has its own header. The document is now due for revision and the
revision
must be marked DRAFT.

From what I have gathered I must set the watermark into section 1, copy
it,
then scroll through the remaining 49 chapters and paste the word draft
into
each header?

In Word 2003 I simply clicked the DRAFT button...There has to be a better
way/workaround.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
wolffrj wolffrj is offline

I have tried both suggested options...although they both work, it is still
going to take a great deal of work to modify my existing documents.

I guess Microsoft found that clicking format, background, printed watermark,
was too easy and convienent.

Thank you both for the help.

Ray
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I suspect that MS got a lot of complaints about the Word 2002/2003 behavior,
especially as regards removing the watermark. Users would insert the
watermark in a document with a single section, create additional sections,
and then find that removing the watermark affected only a single section (or
header in a given section if "Different first page" or "Different odd and
even" was enabled), with no further recourse from the dialog. Since Format |
Background | Printed Watermark had obscured the fact that a watermark is a
graphic anchored to the header, users didn't know to go into the header to
remove it.

I suspect that some further rethinking may be in order, but I can attest
that Word's developers really do think very hard about such things, trying
to figure out not only what is logical but what users may expect, what is
intuitive, what is most efficient or convenient, etc. Often there is no way
to reconcile all the desiderata, and it does also occasionally happen, of
course, since the designers aren't the actual coders, that the design is not
implemented correctly.

http://word.mvps.org