Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Vicki Vicki is offline

Default Word 2007 Ruler & Misc

How can I set the ruler to always display, not open docs in reading view and
set the edit so highlighting does not select the entire word? I have modified
the normal template and also created separate templates but those three
options will not set. I have tried everything. It is very frustrating to have
to keep changing the settings every time I open a new document. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Go to Word options and under the Advanced tab, Editing options, clear the
option 'When selecting, automatically select entire word'. Alternatively, if
you want to use this most of the time (which most users do), you can
override the option by pressing the ALT key when making a selection.

Word remembers the view in which a document was last saved and closed.

But it sounds as though you have already found those settings (and the
option to display the ruler) but they are not being saved? Are other default
options being saved such as the default font changes or page size changes or
is it just those three options?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"vicki" wrote in message
How can I set the ruler to always display, not open docs in reading view
and
set the edit so highlighting does not select the entire word? I have
modified
the normal template and also created separate templates but those three
options will not set. I have tried everything. It is very frustrating to
have
to keep changing the settings every time I open a new document. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Vicki Vicki is offline

Hi, Terry. Yes, it is just those three options. The margins, font, font
color, etc. all saved fined and are displayed when Word is opened. Even with
Outlook, when I open Word attachments I click don't open in this view again
but they continue to open in reading view. BTW-I am using the full Office Pro
suite. Thank you.

"vicki" wrote in message
How can I set the ruler to always display, not open docs in reading view
and
set the edit so highlighting does not select the entire word? I have
modified
the normal template and also created separate templates but those three
options will not set. I have tried everything. It is very frustrating to
have
to keep changing the settings every time I open a new document. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Very weird. Please try the following test. Start Word in Safe Mode, open a
document and see if it still opens in the wrong view.

From Start | Run, type in

winword /a

and press enter. Use File | Open, select and open a document. Does it still
open in Reading Layout View?

Terry

"vicki" wrote in message
How can I set the ruler to always display, not open docs in reading
view
and
set the edit so highlighting does not select the entire word? I have
modified
the normal template and also created separate templates but those three
options will not set. I have tried everything. It is very frustrating
have
to keep changing the settings every time I open a new document. Thank
you.

Ruler units of measurement in Word 2007 CIA123 Microsoft Word Help 2 June 17th 08 03:09 AM
Misc. Symbols Rondo Page Layout 2 June 9th 08 05:56 PM
Vertical Ruler Word 2007 BK New Users 1 June 9th 08 04:32 PM
word 2007 ruler question Grant Microsoft Word Help 2 November 27th 06 11:40 PM
word template for a 2004 1099-misc dcanby Page Layout 3 January 25th 05 01:52 AM