Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] StargateFanNotAtHome@mailinator.com is offline

Default Merge not picking up two fields, what to do .... :o(

Good Morning!

I need your wonderful help yet again, pls g. I'm at a new place
and
I'm required to work on a merge document (Word 2007) that isn't
turning out for
us. The girl I'm replacing had trouble with this doct and though I
just
rebuilt the Word file from scratch, two fields still aren't being
picked up.

The source data doct. is an XL2007 file and it in and of itself seems
to be alright. The first row is a header row. I started with a blank
Word
file, added the fields and pointed Word to this XL file hoping that
this new instance would pick up the data correctly, if the glitch
started from somewhere at that point.

In my own doct., when I preview the labels, only the first 2 rows
appear, name and title. When I do the FINISH MERGE option, then the
entire thing shows up. I'm also missing the same 2 fields as the
original doct.

I don't know what else to do as
nothing leaps out at me as the source of the problem. The missing
two
fields are labelled Building_english and Building_english yet
they have hyphens in other fields and those fields come through okay.

What can we do to fix this pls??

Thank you!!

p.s.,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] StargateFanNotAtHome@mailinator.com is offline

Sorry to be a pain, but can anyone give us any pointers on what could
be going wrong here? We're stuck because we can't move forward with
preparing our mail merge.

Thanks so much!! D
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

fields are labelled Building_english and Building_english yet

Do these two fields actually have the same name, as indicated?

Also, is the name

Building_english

or is it actually

Building_english

? Or since you mention hyphens, do these names actually have hyphens

Building-english

or underscores

Building_english

?

If you use Alt-F9 to view the underlying field codes in your mail merge
main document, do you see something like

{ MERGEFIELD Building_english }

{ MERGEFIELD "Building_english" }

or what? What else is in the field code?

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are the fields in the Excel file Building-english or Building_english. You
mention hyphens in your text, but the fields that you show
Building_english contain underscores, not hyphens.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
StargateFan[_2_] StargateFan[_2_] is offline

On Fri, 29 May 2009 08:00:56 +1000, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:

Are the fields in the Excel file Building-english or Building_english. You
mention hyphens in your text, but the fields that you show
Building_english contain underscores, not hyphens.

Yes, sorry. That was a real oops. I, of course, was thinking
"underscore" when I typed "hyphen" g (new job, new place, new
people, back on 2007 after many months not ... g).

--

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
StargateFan[_2_] StargateFan[_2_] is offline

On Thu, 28 May 2009 23:00:38 +0100, Peter Jamieson
wrote:

fields are labelled Building_english and Building_english yet

Do these two fields actually have the same name, as indicated?

Also, is the name

Building_english

or is it actually

Building_english

? Or since you mention hyphens, do these names actually have hyphens

Building-english

or underscores

Building_english

?

If you use Alt-F9 to view the underlying field codes in your mail merge
main document, do you see something like

{ MERGEFIELD Building_english }

{ MERGEFIELD "Building_english" }

or what? What else is in the field code?

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, was thinking underscore when I typed in
hyphen.

In the word document, their field codes look like this:
Building_english
whereas in Excel the header row titles looked like this:
Building_english

Thanks for reminding me that the ghost of something at the back of my
mind that I couldn't bring forward was that there was a way to see the
merge codes more in depth than what was being displayed.

I'll check the doct. tomorrow with the codes more fully revealed in
the way you describe. I'm hoping it'll give us a clue because I had to
rebuild the doct 3 times since we goofed and somehow lost a "state" of
the docts.twice. Whenever we lost it and rebuilt the merge form file
from scratch, the merge didn't work properly initially and we still
don't know why. But I'm sure the codes will help me figure out what
went wrong. I'll get it eventuallly esp. with all this great help
g.

Thanks! D

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk