Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
HeleneJ HeleneJ is offline

Default Word Mail merge with Access on Vista

I'm trying to do a Word mail merge with Access on Vista, but since we added a
password security to Access, it doesn't work. Non-Vista users are not
having this problem. We get the error that says it's password protected, but
doesn't direct us to where to enter it, any help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Ths may not be a Vista/non-Vista issue (i.e. you may see it simply
because your Vista systems happen to be set up one way and other systems
another way). But...

....before I have another look at this, can you say
a. what the versions of Word and Access are
b. whether you are using 32-bit Vista or 64-bit Vista (this may not be
relevant but right now I can only look at the 32-bit version and there
can be differences between the two)
c. which connection methods your Vista/non-Vista systems are set up to
use (if the users never see questions relating to the connection method,
then the defaults will be DDE for Word 2000 and earlier, and OLEDB for
Word XP and later)

FWIW When you use a database password, I believe you will need to do one
of the following:
a. connect using DDE, in which case Word should start Access (if it is
not already running) and request it to open the database (if it is not
already open). If the database is not already open, Access should
present a password prompt, which may appear behind the Word window (i.e.
the user might need to use Alt-tab or some such to see it. To do this
with Word XP or later you have to set up Word so that it will prompt for
the connection types. If you are using Word 2007 and Access 2007, the
additional dialog box that then appears will not show the DDE option if
the database is an Access 2007 .accdb format database - in that case you
have to check the "Show all" box to see the DDE option.
b. connect using OLEDB /and/ a .odc file which specifies the password
- I think.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk