Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DeeDeeCee DeeDeeCee is offline

Default Using the INCLUDETEXT field

I use Word 2007.

I've gotten this far in my learning: I know how to insert "REF" fields that
refer to a bookmark in the same document. But now I'd like to be able to have
the "REF" field refer to a completely separate document. My ultimate purpose:
I want to keep a master address list, and update that document alone, so I
can do quick F9 updates of the REF fields in other documents.

I've read that to "REF" to a bookmark location in another document, I use
the INCLUDETEXT field. But I don't know how to make that field know where to
look. I assume I add some field codes or switches in order to direct it where
to go. Is that correct, and if so--how do I write the switches/code?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

DDC
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi DeeDeeCee,

The simplest way to see how this works, and the correct field code syntax, is to open two documents, copy a range from one document
and paste it into the other using Edit|Paste Special, checking the 'Paste Link' option and choosing, say, the RTF paste format. This
will probably insert a LINK field, that looks like:
{LINK Word.Document.8 "C:\\Users\\DeeDeeCee\\Documents\\Test.doc" "OLE_LINK1" \a \r}
The "OLE_LINK1" string refers to a bookmark name Word creates in the source document. If you change the field code to:
{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\Users\\DeeDeeCee\\Documents\\Test.doc" "OLE_LINK1"}
you'll have an INCLUDETEXT field pointing to the "OLE_LINK1" bookmark. LINK fields and INCLUDETEXT fields work in similar ways, but
have different options.

--
Cheers
macropod

"DeeDeeCee" wrote in message ...
I use Word 2007.

I've gotten this far in my learning: I know how to insert "REF" fields that
refer to a bookmark in the same document. But now I'd like to be able to have
the "REF" field refer to a completely separate document. My ultimate purpose:
I want to keep a master address list, and update that document alone, so I
can do quick F9 updates of the REF fields in other documents.

I've read that to "REF" to a bookmark location in another document, I use
the INCLUDETEXT field. But I don't know how to make that field know where to
look. I assume I add some field codes or switches in order to direct it where
to go. Is that correct, and if so--how do I write the switches/code?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

DDC

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

In message of Thu, 4 Jun 2009
11:08:51 in microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields, macropod
writes
Hi DeeDeeCee,

The simplest way to see how this works, and the correct field code
syntax, is to open two documents, copy a range from one document and
paste it into the other using Edit|Paste Special, checking the 'Paste
Link' option and choosing, say, the RTF paste format. This will
probably insert a LINK field, that looks like:
{LINK Word.Document.8 "C:\\Users\\DeeDeeCee\\Documents\\Test.doc"
"OLE_LINK1" \a \r}
The "OLE_LINK1" string refers to a bookmark name Word creates in the
source document. If you change the field code to:
{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\Users\\DeeDeeCee\\Documents\\Test.doc" "OLE_LINK1"}
you'll have an INCLUDETEXT field pointing to the "OLE_LINK1" bookmark.
LINK fields and INCLUDETEXT fields work in similar ways, but have
different options.

That is BRILLIANT and (also?) works in Word 2003.
--
Walter Briscoe