Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Golfit Golfit is offline

Default Word automatically renumbers a saved file?

I have a main document that contains a number list. After I bring in the data
source and finishing the merge I save the document as a .docx. What I'm
finding is if I need to reopen the saved file Word automatically numbers the
entire file. Example: on the initial merge my document has a number list of
1-9. I merge, print and save the document. Next time I come in I don't have
individual pages numbered 1-9, but individual pages where the numbering value
starts at 1 and keeps going.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This appears to be another of the anomalies between the file formats of Word
2007 and earlier versions. If you save the merged document as Word 97-2003
format, this problem shouldn't arise. An alternative is to merge to
individual files - http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

Golfit wrote:
I have a main document that contains a number list. After I bring in
the data source and finishing the merge I save the document as a
.docx. What I'm finding is if I need to reopen the saved file Word
automatically numbers the entire file. Example: on the initial merge
my document has a number list of 1-9. I merge, print and save the
document. Next time I come in I don't have individual pages numbered
1-9, but individual pages where the numbering value starts at 1 and
keeps going.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Golfit Golfit is offline

Thank you! Of course it wasn't the answer I wanted to hear (seems silly they
would have programmed it this way), but at least I can stop searching.