Ambuwolf

Default How do I edit a scanned document ?

I am trying to edit a document in "Microsoft Office Document Imaging", and
have scanned my document with a Lexmark print trio. I do not know much about
my computer programs, and am trying to learn. I can scan it and visualize
the document in the document imaging program, but am unsure how to edit the
text. I can send it to "Word", but when I view it there, the text is not the
same (or maybe verbage, not text). So I can edit it when it is in word, but
looks like a totally different document, And I want to visualize the document
after it is scanned, pref. back in document imaging. Maybe I don't need to
send it to word? Maybe I am not capable of editing a scanned document?
Anne Troy

Not usually, unless you used OCR scanning software. You can't open an image
in Word, but you can Insert--Picture--From file and possibly use the
drawing tools to accomplish something similar. This article may have some
helpful information for you:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/t...oft_word. htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Ambuwolf" wrote in message
I am trying to edit a document in "Microsoft Office Document Imaging", and
have scanned my document with a Lexmark print trio. I do not know much
about
my computer programs, and am trying to learn. I can scan it and visualize
the document in the document imaging program, but am unsure how to edit
the
text. I can send it to "Word", but when I view it there, the text is not
the
same (or maybe verbage, not text). So I can edit it when it is in word,
but
looks like a totally different document, And I want to visualize the
document
after it is scanned, pref. back in document imaging. Maybe I don't need
send it to word? Maybe I am not capable of editing a scanned document?

Ambuwolf

Yes, there is OCR software in Windows Document Imaging. Do you know if I can
edit the text in this program, or do I HAVE to move it? It is when I move it
to Word that it changes.

"Ambuwolf" wrote in message
I am trying to edit a document in "Microsoft Office Document Imaging", and
have scanned my document with a Lexmark print trio. I do not know much
about
my computer programs, and am trying to learn. I can scan it and visualize
the document in the document imaging program, but am unsure how to edit
the
text. I can send it to "Word", but when I view it there, the text is not
the
same (or maybe verbage, not text). So I can edit it when it is in word,
but
looks like a totally different document, And I want to visualize the
document
after it is scanned, pref. back in document imaging. Maybe I don't need
send it to word? Maybe I am not capable of editing a scanned document?

Anne Troy

Without seeing what you're getting, I'd have no idea. Can you email it?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Ambuwolf" wrote in message
[...]

Opinicus

"Ambuwolf" wrote

Yes, there is OCR software in Windows Document Imaging.
Do you know if I can
edit the text in this program, or do I HAVE to move it?
It is when I move it
to Word that it changes.

A scanned document is a *picture* of a document, much like a
photograph of a flower is a picture of a flower. To edit the
flower picture you need a picture editor. The same goes for
the picture of the document. The OCR software will (try and)
convert the picture into text that can be saved in a format
that can be edited by Word. I don't use Windows Document
Imaging but I have used other OCR software and the procedure
should probably be the same. You run WDI, open the scanned
document with that, and follow whatever steps are needed to
convert. You will be given an option to save the result in
Word format. That's the file you open with Word to edit.

OCRs have a fairly high rate of error so unless this is a
very long document, you may be better off retyping it
instead.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Graham Mayor

Microsoft's Document Imaging software is a rudimentary OCR software
application. It is not capable of accurately portraying the layout of a
complicated document, but depending on the scanner settings it is capable of
reasonably accurate text recognition.

All OCR software is capable of making a dog's breakfast of document
conversion, but some are better than others. If you are serious about this,
you need that better software. Finereader is as good as it gets.