That's Elaine

Default How do I make documents load faster

Word Documents Open Slowly

Word-2003 (Ver. 11.6359.6408 SP1) on Win-XP Pro SP2
(with all updates €“ and a nice clean machine)

When attempting to open any .DOC (by double-clicking on the file) while in
Windows Explorer, it takes approx 20-30 seconds for the document to fully
load.

When opening WORD first and then finding any file to open,
no problem €“ they open instantly.

When opening from WORDs MRU €“ no problem €“ they open instantly.

When opening from The Desktop MRU €“ no problem €“ they open quickly.

All possible ways of opening any document works just fine EXCEPT when
attempting to open ANY document by double-clicking on it while in Windows
Explorer.

My attempts to date to correct this problem have been:
Re-associated €œ.doc€ files with WORD, but no help.
Reregistered word (winword /r), but no help.
Employed the €œDetect and Repair€ from WordHelp €“ to no avail.
In Safe Mode opened WORD via winword /a - no help.
Uninstalled office completely and reinstalled €“ no help.
Attempting to open other files from within Windows Explorer:
Excel opens slowly, just like WORD; PowerPoint Opens quickly.
No add-in macros, templates, COM, etc. affecting Word or Excel.

Any suggestions?
MikeK

I have exactly the same build - Word-2003 (Ver. 11.6359.6408 SP1) on Win-XP
Pro SP2, with all updates, and have the same problem, EXCEPT that it also
applies to Excel docs. This is a fairly recent development, maybe within the
last 7-10 days.

Elaine: do you have an anti-virus program doing automatic scanning? I have
no idea if it's the source of the difficulty, but am wondering if you
considered that? I run Norton, and will be looking at that, next.

Elaine, another question: did it begin after you did anything in particular,
like after applying an update of any kind to any program?

There were several posts, not specifically about Word 2003, that referred to
missing templates. I investigated that, just in case, but the templates are
in place.

This is an enormous annoyance - docs are taking over a minute to open - so
any and all suggestions are welcome!

Doug: in what way did Elaine answer her own question?

"That's Elaine" wrote:

[...]

MikeK

After my last post I decided to take a look at my Norton AV installation
(2005). It was corrupt. When I ran LiveUpdate, I got two error messages,
LU1848 and LU9002. After doing the fix for 9002, my documents are opening
normally.

HTH.

"That's Elaine" wrote:

[...]

MikeK

The behavior returned, but I do think I have it resolved, finally, now.
I run Norton AV (current version, current everything). The Symantec tech
said to turn off the Office Plug In (in Norton, under Options, Miscellaneous).
That worked.

"That's Elaine" wrote:

[...]

Elaine

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, no resolution for me.
I am not running Norton -- I use AVG and Microsoft AntiSpyware - both of
which seem to be working just fine. I too must ask Doug: How did I answer
my own question?

"That's Elaine" wrote:

[...]

MikeK

I have AVG on another machine, but don't use it enough to be familiar with it
- could it maybe have a similar feature resulting in a slowdown?
Have you ever been suspicious of the MS Antispyware? Once in awhile the
thought crosses my mind that maybe it's having a negative effect, but I've
never pursued the thought.

Mike

"That's Elaine" wrote:

[...]

Doug G

Hi. I have been having the same problem with long delays opening Word and
Excel files running Office2000 on Windows98SE. I noticed that if I kill the
process RUNDLL32.EXE in taskmanager, the Word and Excel files open normally
from Explorer. Is this of any help? I do not know what RUNDLL32.EXE is used
for, so do not know if stopping this process is a valid way to fix the
problem. Any thoughts?