RevJavaDude

Default Tabs - Strange tab settings using ruler

Word 2003. When I try to set a tab using the ruler (clicking the mouse on
the ruler, and then adjusting its placement), I cannot get a tab setting on
an "exact" ruler mark. For example, if I want a tab at .5" it will get
placed at .52" when I open the Format-Tab dialog box. In order to set tabs
on the marks I have to open the tab dialog box and type in the measurements
that I want, I am unable to use the ruler. It's been like this in every
installation I have done. Any ideas? Any solutions? Thanks for your help.

--Jeff
CyberTaz

Hi Rev-

The 'accuracy' of the ruler markings is resolution-dependent, so the degree
of zoom will impact how close you can get to a certain point. FWIW, I only
rely on graphic tools like the ruler if using major increments or if
precision positioning isn't a key issue. In most apps the graphic tools are
fine if you're willing to accept 'nearest neighbor' settings.

Regards |:)

"RevJavaDude" wrote:

Word 2003. When I try to set a tab using the ruler (clicking the mouse on
the ruler, and then adjusting its placement), I cannot get a tab setting on
an "exact" ruler mark. For example, if I want a tab at .5" it will get
placed at .52" when I open the Format-Tab dialog box. In order to set tabs
on the marks I have to open the tab dialog box and type in the measurements
that I want, I am unable to use the ruler. It's been like this in every
installation I have done. Any ideas? Any solutions? Thanks for your help.

--Jeff

CyberTaz

P.S.-

You can get more precise performance from the ruler if you hold down the Alt
key while dragging the tab icon. (Thought I'd better throw that in so I don't
get chastized for a Sin of Omission 8).)

"RevJavaDude" wrote:

Word 2003. When I try to set a tab using the ruler (clicking the mouse on
the ruler, and then adjusting its placement), I cannot get a tab setting on
an "exact" ruler mark. For example, if I want a tab at .5" it will get
placed at .52" when I open the Format-Tab dialog box. In order to set tabs
on the marks I have to open the tab dialog box and type in the measurements
that I want, I am unable to use the ruler. It's been like this in every
installation I have done. Any ideas? Any solutions? Thanks for your help.

--Jeff

RevJavaDude

I'm just surprised that I get "odd" settings on the ruler. I guess I'd
assumed MS would have build in a "snap to ruler" feature that would have
taken that resolution issue into account. I don't remember this being an
issue in previous versions of Word, however. I'd almost swear that I've been
able to set a tab at .75" by making a quick mouse point to that place on the
ruler (which, of course also deleted the tab at .5" so I'd have to reset that
tab by another mouse click at that mark also -- that's how my memory seems so
confident of the previous versions having this more precise level of
accuracy... or perhaps LESS accuracy as the case might be).

Anyway, I'm frustrated that the "mouse" method of setting tabs seems useless
if this is the case...

--Jeff

"RevJavaDude" wrote:

Word 2003. When I try to set a tab using the ruler (clicking the mouse on
the ruler, and then adjusting its placement), I cannot get a tab setting on
an "exact" ruler mark. For example, if I want a tab at .5" it will get
placed at .52" when I open the Format-Tab dialog box. In order to set tabs
on the marks I have to open the tab dialog box and type in the measurements
that I want, I am unable to use the ruler. It's been like this in every
installation I have done. Any ideas? Any solutions? Thanks for your help.

--Jeff

RevJavaDude

P.S.-

You can get more precise performance from the ruler if you hold down the Alt
key while dragging the tab icon. (Thought I'd better throw that in so I don't
get chastized for a Sin of Omission 8).)

Thanks, Taz! Hopefully all chastizing avoided...

--Jeff

garfield-n-odie

If the Drawing toolbar isn't already displayed, display it
by clicking on View | Toolbars | Drawing. On the Drawing
toolbar, click on Draw | Grid | Horizontal spacing: 0.125" |
Vertical spacing: 0.125" | uncheck the "Use margins" box |
Default | Yes. The measurements will display as 0.13", but
that's okay. Try setting the tabs again.

RevJavaDude wrote:
Word 2003. When I try to set a tab using the ruler (clicking the mouse on
the ruler, and then adjusting its placement), I cannot get a tab setting on
an "exact" ruler mark. For example, if I want a tab at .5" it will get
placed at .52" when I open the Format-Tab dialog box. In order to set tabs
on the marks I have to open the tab dialog box and type in the measurements
that I want, I am unable to use the ruler. It's been like this in every
installation I have done. Any ideas? Any solutions? Thanks for your help.

--Jeff

RevJavaDude

P.S.-

You can get more precise performance from the ruler if you hold down the Alt
key while dragging the tab icon. (Thought I'd better throw that in so I don't
get chastized for a Sin of Omission 8).)

I just tried the ALT KEY trick -- wow! Very cool indeed! You're sins are
forgiven! grin

--Jeff
RevJavaDude

That fixed the alignment problem, g-n-o. My faith has been restored... and I
learned a new trick with the ALT-Mouse combo on the ruler.

Thanks for your expertise...

--Jeff

RevJavaDude wrote:
Word 2003. When I try to set a tab using the ruler (clicking the mouse on
the ruler, and then adjusting its placement), I cannot get a tab setting on
an "exact" ruler mark. For example, if I want a tab at .5" it will get
placed at .52" when I open the Format-Tab dialog box. In order to set tabs
on the marks I have to open the tab dialog box and type in the measurements
that I want, I am unable to use the ruler. It's been like this in every
installation I have done. Any ideas? Any solutions? Thanks for your help.

--Jeff

CyberTaz

Hey Rev-

Excellent suggestin made by g-n-o! Hope you have enough to keep you happy.

Also, the point about the default tabs being removed is designed in as an
'intuitive' feature. The assumption is that if you create a custom tab you
want it to be the first stop you tab to. All default stops to the left are
removed whenever you set a custom stop anywhere on the ruler.

Regards |:)