Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JIPA JIPA is offline

Default Close without prompt to save

I would like some users to be able to open a particular word
document/template and input some text/data but not be prompted to save when
closing (I do not want changes saved in any way). Is there a way to do
this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have to ask - what's the purpose of opening a document, adding text and
then close it without saving said data?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"JIPA" wrote in message
I would like some users to be able to open a particular word
document/template and input some text/data but not be prompted to save
when
closing (I do not want changes saved in any way). Is there a way to do
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JIPA JIPA is offline

This is a scenario where a department is recieving a handwritten document
which is essentially a blank word document. The people writing on this
form are the general public and there is no easy mechanism for the
public/customers to electronically complete it (I am also told that it is
important that the original handwriting be seen (signatures and such)).
The director of this department wants the staff to take the handwritten form,
input their pieces of data (most is via macros) into the original Word
document/template and then place this handwritten form into their printer and
print this newly added data onto the form. Since only the data the the
staff member added would be available (since the remainder is handwritten)
they see no sense in saving the document and would prefer that the staff not
be prompted to save when they close the document. The form (with the
handwritten and Word data) is then returned to the customer.

"JIPA" wrote in message
I would like some users to be able to open a particular word
document/template and input some text/data but not be prompted to save
when
closing (I do not want changes saved in any way). Is there a way to do
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

In that specific template, add this macro code (see
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm if you need instructions):

Public Sub FilePrint()
If Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrint).Show = -1 Then
ActiveDocument.Close wdDoNotSaveChanges
End If
End Sub

Public Sub FilePrintDefault()
ActiveDocument.PrintOut Background:=False
ActiveDocument.Close wdDoNotSaveChanges
End Sub

The first macro runs when the user chooses File Print on the menu or
presses Ctrl+P. The second one runs when the user clicks the print button on
the toolbar. In each case, it prints the document and then closes it without
saving.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman