Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lisa@Pru Lisa@Pru is offline

Default Mail Merge Limitations

I am using Microsoft office, version 2000 (my employer has not yet upgraded.)
I have a merge document that is going to require more than 256 fields so I
can't use Excel.

Using a .csv file would work, but I lose the calculation capability of doing
this in Excel.

Do newer versions of Microsoft office allow for bigger merge files?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I believe the same limits apply, however what's to stop you storing and
calculating the data in Excel then output the resulting file to CSV for use
as a merge source? However I find it difficult to imagine a mail merge that
requires more than 256 fields?

Lisa@Pru wrote:
I am using Microsoft office, version 2000 (my employer has not yet
upgraded.) I have a merge document that is going to require more than
256 fields so I can't use Excel.

Using a .csv file would work, but I lose the calculation capability
of doing this in Excel.

Do newer versions of Microsoft office allow for bigger merge files?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lisa@Pru Lisa@Pru is offline

Using a mail merge to accomplish our task is certainly not the method of
choice, but it will be better than the very manula process we do now. It
never occured to me to just work past the limits of Excel and then save it as
a .csv file - I think that will work.

Thanks - sometimes you get yourself to a point where you can't see the
forest for the trees!