Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hobojoe3 hobojoe3 is offline

Default Table of Contents Options

I have created a number of user-defined styles. When creating a Table of
Contents under Options, not all of my user-defined styles show up to be
selected. The ones that do show work fine when selected under ToC Options.
I am trying to figure out why some of the user-defined styles don't show up
under Options when creating a Table of Contents. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

For the ones that don't appear, go into the Modify Style dialog and click
Format Paragraph. Probably the Outline Level box is set to "Body Text".
Change it to one of the nine numbered levels. Now it'll appear in the TOC
Options dialog, where you can assign it a TOC level (which is not
necessarily the same as the outline level).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

hobojoe3 wrote:
I have created a number of user-defined styles. When creating a
Table of Contents under Options, not all of my user-defined styles
show up to be selected. The ones that do show work fine when
selected under ToC Options. I am trying to figure out why some of the
user-defined styles don't show up under Options when creating a Table
of Contents. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

All styles appear in the TOC Options dialog, regardless of what outline
level they have. Those that have a heading outline level have a number
beside them (which can be removed). Those that are Body Text do not have a
number, but one can be added by the user.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
For the ones that don't appear, go into the Modify Style dialog and click
Format Paragraph. Probably the Outline Level box is set to "Body Text".
Change it to one of the nine numbered levels. Now it'll appear in the TOC
Options dialog, where you can assign it a TOC level (which is not
necessarily the same as the outline level).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

so
all may benefit.

hobojoe3 wrote:
I have created a number of user-defined styles. When creating a
Table of Contents under Options, not all of my user-defined styles
show up to be selected. The ones that do show work fine when
selected under ToC Options. I am trying to figure out why some of the
user-defined styles don't show up under Options when creating a Table
of Contents. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hmm. I tried making a user-defined style earlier, and it didn't appear
in the TOC Options list until I gave it an outline level. Tonight, the
same experiment bears out what you say. I accept that all paragraph
styles *should* appear (except that some built-in styles such as List,
Footer, Header, and Footnote have been explicitly excluded).

So... why doesn't the OP see "some of the user-defined styles"?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

hobojoe3 wrote:
I have created a number of user-defined styles. When creating a
Table of Contents under Options, not all of my user-defined styles
show up to be selected. The ones that do show work fine when
selected under ToC Options. I am trying to figure out why some of the
user-defined styles don't show up under Options when creating a Table
of Contents. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy Sprunger Roy Sprunger is offline

Hi Suzanne,

I am back with another question about Styles and Formatting as directly
related to the TOC.

To reiterate, I inherited a 300+ page document as part of a library
collection. I am trying to standardize the the headings, TOC entries, both
based on the defaults as well as custom styles.

Problem, the TOC contains entries for which I cannot find any evidence that
they are identified as TOC entries. No headings, no fields, no nothing that
shows up and tells me it is to be included in the TOC. I have set every
option I can find to display all charateristics, including hidden text. I
have checked the style characteristics too, and there is nothing to indicate
it should be in the TOC.

However, when I change the Insert References Index and Tables Table of
Contents Options and uncheck the Outline levels box, they and a bunch of
other TOC entries disappear, some of which are supposed to be in the TOC.

Are you aware of any macro or process that can search through my document
and identify everything that contributes to a TOC entry, such as bookmarks,
TC fields, outline levels, etc. and whether they include Styles and
Formatting settings? It appears the outline levels are the culprit in this
problem but when it comes to Styles and Formatting, the Ouline level is
generally set to Body Text. I am at a loss to troubleshoot how to determine
what is causing the unwanted text in my TOC.

Roy

hobojoe3 wrote:
I have created a number of user-defined styles. When creating a
Table of Contents under Options, not all of my user-defined styles
show up to be selected. The ones that do show work fine when
selected under ToC Options. I am trying to figure out why some of the
user-defined styles don't show up under Options when creating a Table
of Contents. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Roy

There is no one tool that will identify the source of the items in a Table
of Contents. A Table of Contents can be generated from several different
kinds of things.

You can investigate the switches used in your TOC field to identify which
methods are being used for this TOC. For information on the fields, see
Customizing your table of contents with switches
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...OCSwitches.htm

It seems to me that there are 4 ways to get things into a table of contents,
so you need to look for each independently.

1. If any styles are ticked in the Table of Contents Options box, then you
can search the document for text in those styles. Use Edit Find, leave the
"Find what" box empty, click More and Format and specify the style to look
for.

2. If the Outline Level box is ticked, then Word will include in the TOC all
paragraphs with Outline Level 'Body text'. You can use Outline View to
identify them. See the following for details:
How to save yourself hours by using Outline View properly
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...singOLView.htm

3. If the Table Entry Fields box is ticked, then Word uses TC fields in the
Table of Contents. To find them, do Alt-F9 to expose field codes. At Tools
Options View, make sure you are viewing Hidden Text. And use Edit Find
to search for TC to locate them.

4. If the table of contents includes text marked with SEQ fields, then you
need to search for those SEQ fields. You know a Table of Contents is using
SEQ fields if you click within the TOC and do Insert Reference Index and
Tables. If the next dialog box 'wakes up' on the Table of Figures tab, your
TOC includes a \c switch, which identiifes the SEQ field to use.

Finally, bear in mind that any one paragraph could appear more than once in
the TOC. That will happen if, for example, you put TC field in a paragraph
whose Outline Level is 'Body text', or a TC field in a paragraph listed in
the Options box. You'll get one entry for the TC field and one for the
paragraph outline level or style. (Just for the record, a style like Heading
1 has, by default, an Outline Level of 1. A paragraph in Heading 1 style
won't appear twice.)

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

hobojoe3 wrote:
I have created a number of user-defined styles. When creating a
Table of Contents under Options, not all of my user-defined styles
show up to be selected. The ones that do show work fine when
selected under ToC Options. I am trying to figure out why some of the
user-defined styles don't show up under Options when creating a Table
of Contents. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To clarify one of Shauna's statements, when she said that "Word will include
in the TOC all
paragraphs with Outline Level 'Body text,'" she was using "" to mean

"higher than." That is, if the outline level of the paragraph/style is Level
1, Level 2, etc. (anything other than "Body Text") and that box is checked
(which it is by default), the paragraph will be included. My strong
suspicion is that this is the relevant information in this case.