Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JWGS JWGS is offline

Default how do I create a report with only selected text from a .doc

I have a large report and each page is the same format but the actual text
varies
Example:line a = date
line b= car model
line c = car year
line d = price
line e = a picture
line f-z = other information.
I want a report thet lists only line b and line d with no other info.. I can
do it online by searching for certain text ie: Find MODEL but I would like to
automate it as much as possibe. I am a fairly knowledgeable user but not a
techie or programer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?SldHUw==?=,

I have a large report and each page is the same format but the actual text
varies
Example:line a = date
line b= car model
line c = car year
line d = price
line e = a picture
line f-z = other information.
I want a report thet lists only line b and line d with no other info.. I can
do it online by searching for certain text ie: Find MODEL but I would like to
automate it as much as possibe. I am a fairly knowledgeable user but not a
techie or programer

Well, there won't be a lot you can do without programming... But in order to
ascertain exactly what needs to be done we need to better understand exactly
what you want to generate - the end result. Can this be a plain text file?
Should it be a word document, or an Excel workbook?

And how is the source document ("large report") being generated?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

JWGS wrote:
I have a large report and each page is the same format but the actual text
varies
Example:line a = date
line b= car model
line c = car year
line d = price
line e = a picture
line f-z = other information.
I want a report thet lists only line b and line d with no other info.. I can
do it online by searching for certain text ie: Find MODEL but I would like to
automate it as much as possibe. I am a fairly knowledgeable user but not a
techie or programer

the different lines should be "marked up" in any way. You can get there
bei either, say, formatting each paragraph in its own unique style (each
line b has style "model", etc.). This can be done manually, or with a
couple of proper search/replace runs.

Once this is done, you could create a TOC for only those styles.

Ultimately, this sort of thing would best be handled in a database, I
reckon.

2cents
Robert
--