Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bonhom3 Bonhom3 is offline

Default Can you insert a Style within a Style

1. Can you change styles on the same line? I want to insert into my document
€śtext markers€ť alerting the reader of the number for the correct answer given
at the end of the manuscript. This will usually follow a question. So:
€˘ I want to insert €śAnswer #€ť usually on the same line as the question
€˘ The formatting of the line I insert it on will not always be consistent
€˘ The answer marker must be formatted consistently in a grey pattern box
€˘ The answer marker must be to the far right of the page (ideally always at
the same location)

How can I insert such a marker without changing the style of the text
preceding or following it? If I must always place it in its own line, it
doesnt look right and adds up to a lot of space over the course of an entire
300 page document. I am avoiding insertion as a graphic because through the
course of editing the numbers frequently change and I have had problems with
shifting graphics.

2. Also, is there a way to link the answer # in the body of the document
with the corresponding # at the back (similar to what one does with
footnotes) so that the numbers change automatically when questions are added
or subtracted while editing?

--
Bonhom3
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Should these numbers be sequential (in the body of the document)? If so,
you could use SEQ fields:

1. To insert a SEQ field, you can press Ctrl+F9. Word inserts field
delimiters, { }. Type SEQ myseq within the delimiters. Note that "myseq"
is just an example; you can choose any name you want.

To insert the next field, you can repeat the procedure or just copy and
paste an existing field.

Observe that SEQ fields do not update automatically, which will be
especially apparent if you used copy and paste to insert them. To update
the fields, switch to Print Preview and back. Or you can select the
whole document and press F9.

2. Bookmark the numbers and then insert cross-references (via the
Cross-reference dialog box) to those bookmarks at the desired location.

Alternatively, if the numbers should not be sequential, do this:

1. Create the answer section first. Assuming that this should be
sequential, you can use automatic numbering. For example, you can apply
the built-in List Number style.

2. Via the Cross-Reference dialog box, insert a cross-reference at the
desired location to each of those numbered paragraphs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bonhom3" wrote in message
1. Can you change styles on the same line? I want to insert into my

document
"text markers" alerting the reader of the number for the correct

answer given
at the end of the manuscript. This will usually follow a question. So:
. I want to insert "Answer #" usually on the same line as the question
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bonhom3 Bonhom3 is offline

Your reply was quite helpful on the second part of the question. I really
appreciate that.

On the first part, in Word 2007, when I try to insert text that is formatted
differently on the same line as a particular style it changes the whole
line. Is there any way to do that and not change the properties of the style
preceding it.

For example. If I have a three word heading. And then flush right on the
same line I want to insert a shaded word in a different font that has a
number with it. Is there a way to do that without changing the style of the
preceding heading. The other complication is that I will want to do this on
the same line as several different styles of headings.
--
Bonhom3

"Bonhom3" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Unless the style is set to update automatically, changing the formatting of
some of the text in a paragraph shouldn't change all of it, but if the text
you're inserting includes a paragraph mark, then naturally the preceding
text will take on the formatting of the style of that paragraph. There's no
reason you can't do what you want with direct formatting, however. You can
use a right-aligned tab to position the text, which can be in any font you
like, and you can apply shading to the text rather than the paragraph.
Moreover, you can apply both the font and the shading as a character style,
which *can* live within a paragraph style.

"Bonhom3" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Glad I could help (with part of the question).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP