Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word 2007 document corruption

In Word 2007, how often does Word documents corrupt compared to Word
2003 (for both the 97-2003 format and the new open xml format),
espscilly when using the document map, master documents, fast save, and
other features that have been known to corrupt word 2003 documents?

Yuhong Bao

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Nobody knows yet what the frequency of corruption in Word 2007 is,
because it's too new.

I've never heard of the document map causing corruption. The Fast
Saves feature and the Revisions feature have been removed from the
program. The Master Document feature is still present, and I'm told
that some work was done to make it more reliable, but I don't have any
data about it.

One thing I find interesting is that the new XML format may make it
easier to recover from some kinds of corruption. Unlike the 97-2003
format, which is a single huge compound OLE container, the XML format
places individual features into separate XML files within the zip
container. If you know which feature is causing corruption, you can
just remove or replace that XML file and reopen the document. You
might have to redo some formatting, but the text of the document
should be intact.

For documents in 97-2003 format that you don't convert to XML, I'd
expect the same frequency of corrupt documents as before.

As an aside, my personal experience is that document corruption is
very rare if you avoid the features that are known offenders. I can
remember only one corrupted document in the last 5 years.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On 27 May 2006 20:16:01 -0700, wrote:

In Word 2007, how often does Word documents corrupt compared to Word
2003 (for both the 97-2003 format and the new open xml format),
espscilly when using the document map, master documents, fast save, and
other features that have been known to corrupt word 2003 documents?

Yuhong Bao

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yuhong Bao

One thing I find interesting is that the new XML format may make it
easier to recover from some kinds of corruption. Unlike the 97-2003
format, which is a single huge compound OLE container, the XML format
places individual features into separate XML files within the zip
container. If you know which feature is causing corruption, you can
just remove or replace that XML file and reopen the document. You
might have to redo some formatting, but the text of the document
should be intact.

Or if you are familar with the Open XML spec, you can try to fix the
corruption yourself.

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
How to reformat a complete document. wanda Microsoft Word Help 16 February 11th 06 11:43 PM