Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeR-Oz MikeR-Oz is offline

Default 400Mb file- problem printing and working with it

Hi, I created one file from a number of files that form a course. The file
icludes powerpoint send to word file which I then copied and pasted within
the main word 2000 docuemnt.

However the file when I prient to laser of try to do much work with it hangs
or crashes.

I suspect it is the file size. Is there another solution?

Ta
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

Can you PDF the file? This can sometimes reduce the file size. Have you tried
printing batches of pages or even one at a time to see if it is a corruption
problem or just that the print file is huge?
You may need to split the file, of deal with the images within to reduce the
file bloat.
400Mb is a tad excessive. What will the print file be? The mind boggles!
Best of luck
DeanH

"MikeR-Oz" wrote:

Hi, I created one file from a number of files that form a course. The file
icludes powerpoint send to word file which I then copied and pasted within
the main word 2000 docuemnt.

However the file when I prient to laser of try to do much work with it hangs
or crashes.

I suspect it is the file size. Is there another solution?

Ta
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

400MB is HUGE. You need to make it much smaller. First make sure that you
have got file bloat due to the crook Fast Saves option under Tools, Options,
Save tab. Make sure it is unchecked: if it was checked, clear it, open the
file, make a small edit and save again. That should shrink the file.

If the file size is due to all those PPt graphics, then you need to try and
reduce their size. I suggest that you cut them and paste them into a
graphics editor such as the free to download IrfanView. Once in a graphics
editor, use the resize tool to get the graphic the exact size that you need
it in the final document and then use the Resample tool to change the
resolution to either 96 dpi (if it is to be read on screen only) or 150dpi
if it is to be printed. Save the graphic as a jpeg. The in Word use INSERT,
Picture to reinsert the picture back into Word. Don't use copy and paste
because that will result in a bigger file than using the Insert command.

Finally, if this still does not reduce it to a manageable file size,
consider Insert as Links.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"MikeR-Oz" wrote in message
Hi, I created one file from a number of files that form a course. The file
icludes powerpoint send to word file which I then copied and pasted within
the main word 2000 docuemnt.

However the file when I prient to laser of try to do much work with it
hangs
or crashes.

I suspect it is the file size. Is there another solution?

Ta
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I'm amazed your computer can still handle it. My system bogged down on a 65
Mb file.

I found a site that suggested that I save it as an .html file, close that
file, open the html file in Word, then save it as a .doc. It took the file
size down to 6.5Mb. I checked the file and nothing seems to have been
screwed up in the conversions.

It's worth a try. If you're hesitant, give it a different name when you save
it back to a .doc. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"MikeR-Oz" wrote in message
Hi, I created one file from a number of files that form a course. The file
icludes powerpoint send to word file which I then copied and pasted within
the main word 2000 docuemnt.

However the file when I prient to laser of try to do much work with it
hangs
or crashes.

I suspect it is the file size. Is there another solution?

Ta
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There are a number of reasons for excessive file size, including:

1. Fast Saves: Disable this at on the Save tab of Tools | Options.

2. Preview Pictu Clear the check box on the Summary tab of File |
Properties.

3. Versions (File | Versions): Make sure "Automatically save version on
close" is not turned on.

4. Revisions (Tools | Track Changes):
Highlight Changes: Make sure "Highlight changes on screen" is turned on
(or that "Final Showing Markup" is displayed).
Accept/Reject Changes: If "Accept All" or "Reject All" is available then
revisions are present; accept or reject all changes, then turn Track Changes
off.

5. Keep track of formatting (Tools | Options | Edit). This is reportedly a
major cause of file bloat in Word 2002 and above.

6. Embedded True Type fonts (Tools | Options | Save); embedding fonts should
be avoided wherever possible.

7. Embedded linguistic data (Tools | Options | Save).

8. Embedded graphics: When feasible, it is preferable to link the graphics.
That is, when you insert the graphic, click the arrow beside Insert in the
Picture dialog and choose Link to File rather than Insert or Insert and
Link.

9. Embedded objects: These are even worse than ordinary graphics saved with
the document. If you see an { EMBED } code, the graphic is an OLE object.
Unless you need to be able to edit the object in place, unlink it using
Ctrl+Shift+F9.

10. File format: Make sure you are saving as a Word document; in some cases
..rtf (Rich Text Format) files are significantly larger than .doc files.

11. Document corruption: See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

"MikeR-Oz" wrote in message
Hi, I created one file from a number of files that form a course. The file
icludes powerpoint send to word file which I then copied and pasted within
the main word 2000 docuemnt.

However the file when I prient to laser of try to do much work with it

hangs
or crashes.

I suspect it is the file size. Is there another solution?

Ta
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Suzanne,

# 8 won't necessarily make the file any easier to work with, or generate a smaller print spool file - Word still has to load & send
all those graphics to the printer.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"MikeR-Oz" wrote in message
Hi, I created one file from a number of files that form a course. The file
icludes powerpoint send to word file which I then copied and pasted within
the main word 2000 docuemnt.

However the file when I prient to laser of try to do much work with it

hangs
or crashes.

I suspect it is the file size. Is there another solution?

Ta
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The list is boilerplate, and it's inevitable that not all of it will apply
in all situations.

"macropod" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.