Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John[_4_] John[_4_] is offline

Default Possible to have fixed line or paragraph numbering?

I have WinXP with Word 2003.

Is there a way to fix the line or paragraph numbering so that moved
lines do not get automatically renumbered until I am ready?

I want to be able to take this numbering out afterwards.

--------

Below is more detail on what I want to do.

I want to make changes to a Word document at my PC. At the same time I
want to speak to someone on the phone who has a printed version of the
document and I will refer to line and paragraph numbers on his printed
version.

The problem is that as I move text around in the document on my PC then
it gets renumbered. Of course, the other person's hardcopy doesn't.

Is there a way to include fixed line or paragraph numbering in the Word
document on my PC?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Linda RQ Linda RQ is offline

Does the other person have access to the document on the computer? If so...

If you look down at your status bar, you can see Page (which page your are
on) and if you look further to the right you see Line (which line your
curser is in). Click on a line in your document and these numbers change
depending on the location of your curser

Open up any word document and click around and notice how things change in
the status bar...perhaps this would work for you.

Linda

"John" wrote in message
I have WinXP with Word 2003.

Is there a way to fix the line or paragraph numbering so that moved
lines do not get automatically renumbered until I am ready?

I want to be able to take this numbering out afterwards.

--------

Below is more detail on what I want to do.

I want to make changes to a Word document at my PC. At the same time I
want to speak to someone on the phone who has a printed version of the
document and I will refer to line and paragraph numbers on his printed
version.

The problem is that as I move text around in the document on my PC then
it gets renumbered. Of course, the other person's hardcopy doesn't.

Is there a way to include fixed line or paragraph numbering in the Word
document on my PC?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Just toggle on Line Numbers option - I think it was in the Page Setup dialog
in Word 2003. It is definitely under Page Layout on the Page Setup Ribbon in
W2007.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP