Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dee Dee is offline

Default How do I merge to a table in Word - w/o every row a new page?

I am trying to merge date from an Excel spreadsheet to a table in Word. The
Word table is set up with a header row as the first row (column headings -
not merged) and the merge fields are in the second row. When I complete the
merge, each row is on a new page, and I want just one table on one page. I
tried setting it up as a Directory and this solved some of my issues, but the
header row was repeated before every row that contains the merged data (and I
want just one header row with rows of data underneath).
Appreciate any help you can provide!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Choosing Directory merge was the right move, but you also have to ensure
that there are no surplus paragraph marks at the end of your Word Mail Merge
Main Document. You should just have a single table row, and whatever
paragrpah marks Word insists on - delete any others.

You can also consider inserting your Excel data as a DATABASE - if you
enable the database toolbar in Word (View Toolbars) and locate and click the
Insert Database button, you will see that you can select a data source,
select columns, define select/sort criteria, and so on). You can either
insert the data as a DATABASE field, which you can then re-execute, or as
plain text in a table (if there are more columns than WOrd can handle, Word
inserts the data as delimited text.).

You would probably have to format the data how you want it post-insertion,
and the DATABASE insertion process can sometimes fail to insert a DATABASE
field that actually works when you re-execute it, so I wouldn't try too hard
to make it all work unless it suits your purpose, but just thought I'd
mention it.

Peter Jamieson