Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ray Ray is offline

Default Word97 File In Vista

Unable to open Word97 (*.doc) scanned image files in Vista. These were
created with XP.Based on
previous suggestions I downloaded MS Wordviewer and MS Compatibility Pack
but
they did not help. There must be a way that Vista can handle these files -
but I can not find a solution. Will appreciate any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson[_3_] Tom Ferguson[_3_] is offline

Sorry, the expression "Word97 (*.doc) scanned image files" means nothing
to me. What is the format of the file you end up with? Is it some variety
of doc file?

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Ray" wrote in message
Unable to open Word97 (*.doc) scanned image files in Vista. These
were created with XP.Based on
previous suggestions I downloaded MS Wordviewer and MS Compatibility
Pack but
they did not help. There must be a way that Vista can handle these
files -
but I can not find a solution. Will appreciate any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chris Game Chris Game is offline

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 14:55:03 -0800, Ray wrote:

Unable to open Word97 (*.doc) scanned image files in Vista.
These were created with XP.Based on previous suggestions I
downloaded MS Wordviewer and MS Compatibility Pack but they did
not help. There must be a way that Vista can handle these files
- but I can not find a solution. Will appreciate any assistance.

MS-Word 97 works fine under Vista, graphics and all. Have you got
Office97 installed? Is it just the scanned images that cause a
problem?

--
Chris Game

"If everyone with a question just went away and looked it up
we'd never learn anything." -- Carlie Hulme

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ray Ray is offline

Thanks to people who suggested I install OpenOffice - It works great and now
I will uninstall the MS document creation crap.
"Ray" wrote in message
Unable to open Word97 (*.doc) scanned image files in Vista. These were
created with XP.Based on
previous suggestions I downloaded MS Wordviewer and MS Compatibility Pack
but
they did not help. There must be a way that Vista can handle these
files -
but I can not find a solution. Will appreciate any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 08:08:56 -0800, Ray wrote:

What I have (Came with Vista) is Microsoft Works word processor.

This is not the same as MS-Word!

--
Chris Game

Usenet is like Tetris for people who still remember how to read.
-- Button from the Computer Museum, Boston, MA
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles W Davis Charles W Davis is offline

Ray,

You have a great work around. There is no reason to refer to "...MS document
creation crap...."