Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
kmakaren kmakaren is offline

Default save a document as a template

Hi and thanks. Wanna do the above and have gone through the instructions:
Micro Office button; "new"; "my templates" ,"Create new", document. (Have
already saved as a template as the directions say.) But when I type on the
document, it acts as a document, rather than keeping itself as a template for
me to use as a form. I tried protecting it and am getting nowhere still. Am I
misunderstanding the term "template"? Shouldn't all that info be fixed in
place and allow me to type over, like an online tax form? Ugh, computers are
so TIME CONSUMING! (just a small tantrum. ) Thanks for any help.

--
kmakaren
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Once you've created and saved the template, don't open it directly again.
Instead, create a new document based on it, by selecting it in Office Button

"kmakaren" wrote in message
Hi and thanks. Wanna do the above and have gone through the instructions:
Micro Office button; "new"; "my templates" ,"Create new", document. (Have
already saved as a template as the directions say.) But when I type on the
document, it acts as a document, rather than keeping itself as a template

for
me to use as a form. I tried protecting it and am getting nowhere still.

Am I
misunderstanding the term "template"? Shouldn't all that info be fixed in
place and allow me to type over, like an online tax form? Ugh, computers

are
so TIME CONSUMING! (just a small tantrum. ) Thanks for any help.

--
kmakaren

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
kmakaren kmakaren is offline

Thanks, Suzanne, for getting back. Got another minute? Still having trouble:
I go to left corner, "new", either "my templates" or "recently used
templates" and still it acts like a document. Thx for your time, K
--
kmakaren

"kmakaren" wrote:

Hi and thanks. Wanna do the above and have gone through the instructions:
Micro Office button; "new"; "my templates" ,"Create new", document. (Have
already saved as a template as the directions say.) But when I type on the
document, it acts as a document, rather than keeping itself as a template for
me to use as a form. I tried protecting it and am getting nowhere still. Am I
misunderstanding the term "template"? Shouldn't all that info be fixed in
place and allow me to type over, like an online tax form? Ugh, computers are
so TIME CONSUMING! (just a small tantrum. ) Thanks for any help.

--
kmakaren

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"kmakaren" wrote in message
news
Thanks, Suzanne, for getting back. Got another minute? Still having
trouble:
I go to left corner, "new", either "my templates" or "recently used
templates" and still it acts like a document.

it will - a document created from a template is still a document - you need
to protect the parts you don't want changing and THEN save as a template...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Please define what you mean by 'behaves as a document'.

Are you expecting the template text to remain static and allow the users to
write in answers in spaces provided? In which case you need to create a
FORM, not a template.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm and
the forms tutorials by Dian Chapman linked in the article.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

news