oneye234

Default converting encoded files

New XP user. How do I convert to English downloladed files that appear as a
foregin language? I am asked to "select encoding", Windows is recommended.
So now what. What language IS this text and why not English?
Jezebel

It's possible that the files are not Word documents (eg they were created by
WordPerfect or some such). In which case, you need to tell Word what to
convert them from. If it were a foreign language, you'd probably recognize
it as such; from the sound of it, you're seeing machine coding.

Experiment with the options in the 'Files of type' dropdown on the File
Open dialog. If all else fails, use the 'Recover text from any file'
option -- you'll lose all formatting, but with luck you'll retrieve the
content.

"oneye234" wrote in message
New XP user. How do I convert to English downloladed files that appear as
foregin language? I am asked to "select encoding", Windows is
recommended.
So now what. What language IS this text and why not English?

Upgrading MS Office caused Word Docs to DISAPPEAR?! Friendship Center New Users 6 January 27th 05 09:56 PM
see copying files to cd january 11,2005 frank zangari New Users 2 January 13th 05 04:09 PM
Duplicate Files John Flatley New Users 1 December 22nd 04 08:17 AM
RECOVER Temp FILES from CD-RW Kimla Microsoft Word Help 0 December 6th 04 02:59 PM
converting word to works files New Users 1 November 25th 04 06:17 PM