Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mirin mirin is offline

Default Temp 1KB .dot file - what does it mean?

There is a file named "work.dot" in a network folder. Whenever someone
opens a document based on that file, another file of size 1 KB named "~
$work.dot" gets created in the same location. The 1KB file disappears
once the document is closed.
My question is what is the technical purpose of the "~$work.dot" file?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word is a single user application. This is the lock file that restricts the
use of that file to the current user..

mirin wrote:
There is a file named "work.dot" in a network folder. Whenever someone
opens a document based on that file, another file of size 1 KB named
"~ $work.dot" gets created in the same location. The 1KB file
disappears once the document is closed.
My question is what is the technical purpose of the "~$work.dot" file?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mirin mirin is offline

Graham, thanks for your reply.
Sorry for my lack of understanding but I still don't quite get how the
file gets restricted. I've noticed that when one user has a document
opened based on the .dot template, other users too can open new
documents based on the same .dot template.

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org