Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Simon is offline

Default Complex script font - mysterious arabic symbol

Hi
I had previously created a Word2003 document using the Normal font e.g.
Arial. However, when I re-opened it recently, I saw Arabic symbol beside
some fonts under the Styles & Formatting dialog panel. I did not set my
Language to Arabic nor use special symbol setting (I think).
The same document, when viewed by a colleague using another PC, does not
have those Arabic symbol.
Could someone please advise how I can remove the symbols ?

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you sure that, of all the dozens of languages supported by Unicode
and available in your computer running XP or Vista, it is specifically
an "Arabic symbol"? If you recognize it as Arabic, what letter or
other mark is it?

On Sep 23, 5:37*am, Simon wrote:
Hi
I had previously created a Word2003 document using the Normal font e.g.
Arial. *However, when I re-opened it recently, I saw Arabic symbol beside
some fonts under the Styles & Formatting dialog panel. *I did not set my
Language to Arabic nor use special symbol setting (I think).
The same document, when viewed by a colleague using another PC, does not
have those Arabic symbol.
Could someone please advise how I can remove the symbols ?

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MrKreider MrKreider is offline

This EXACT same thing happened to me on the EXACT same day! Is that not
incredibly freaky! I downloaded a document from a company server, and when I
went to work on it I immediately noticed the arabic symbols in the sytles and
formatting pane. On the font dialogue screen, there are two sets of
selection areas, one entitled "latin text format" and the other "complex
script". Where I used to have the ability to choose the font color, I now
have a selection between the above scrips or "all scripts". I consulted with
those at the company and no one there sees these setting when viewing this
document - not even after I uploaded it back to their server! But I still
have the phenonmena. I am running VISTA with Office 2003. I did not do
anything to bring this in and I have done a fair amount of research trying to
get rid of it, to no avail. Last night I deleted my 'normal.doc' template,
hoping it would clear it, but that did not work either. I got out my Office
CD's and looked at the language detection since I read about that online, but
I only have English installed, so there was nothing I could delete. I only
have English installed on my keyboard settings as well. This is so
concerning, I don't know how it got here or how to get rid of it! Can anyone
help Simon and I?

"Simon" wrote:

Hi
I had previously created a Word2003 document using the Normal font e.g.
Arial. However, when I re-opened it recently, I saw Arabic symbol beside
some fonts under the Styles & Formatting dialog panel. I did not set my
Language to Arabic nor use special symbol setting (I think).
The same document, when viewed by a colleague using another PC, does not
have those Arabic symbol.
Could someone please advise how I can remove the symbols ?

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

You are only being shown what text would look like in Arabic (or whatever
script you are seeing) if you were to enter any such text. As you presumably
aren't so doing, there is no need to be concerned about anything.

If you really want to suppress the display you should be able to remove
support for the editing language via the Office 2007 Language settings -
apparently a popular option (Office Button Word Options Popular tab
Language Settings button Editing Languages tab)

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

news

"Simon" wrote:

Hi
I had previously created a Word2003 document using the Normal font e.g.
Arial. However, when I re-opened it recently, I saw Arabic symbol beside
some fonts under the Styles & Formatting dialog panel. I did not set my
Language to Arabic nor use special symbol setting (I think).
The same document, when viewed by a colleague using another PC, does not
have those Arabic symbol.
Could someone please advise how I can remove the symbols ?

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MrKreider MrKreider is offline

I would like to suppress it, why should I have to fill out two separate font
columns for each document. If you don't do that, the font is not stable and
will flop back and forth. It is so irritating. Why would this have happened
anyway. So, your suggestion is for Office 2007 - is there any cure for
Office 2003?

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

You are only being shown what text would look like in Arabic (or whatever
script you are seeing) if you were to enter any such text. As you presumably
aren't so doing, there is no need to be concerned about anything.

If you really want to suppress the display you should be able to remove
support for the editing language via the Office 2007 Language settings -
apparently a popular option (Office Button Word Options Popular tab
Language Settings button Editing Languages tab)

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

news

"Simon" wrote:

Hi
I had previously created a Word2003 document using the Normal font e.g.
Arial. However, when I re-opened it recently, I saw Arabic symbol beside
some fonts under the Styles & Formatting dialog panel. I did not set my
Language to Arabic nor use special symbol setting (I think).
The same document, when viewed by a colleague using another PC, does not
have those Arabic symbol.
Could someone please advise how I can remove the symbols ?

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

You shouldn't have to do anything - if you're not using any complex scripts
you can ignore all the settings for them. If they are having an effect then
you must have some content that is set to use them.

In Word 2003, I don't think you can jump directly to the language settings
and you have to go via the Windows Start Menu All Programs Microsoft
Office Microsoft Office Tools Microsoft Office 2003 Language Settings

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

You are only being shown what text would look like in Arabic (or whatever
script you are seeing) if you were to enter any such text. As you
presumably
aren't so doing, there is no need to be concerned about anything.

If you really want to suppress the display you should be able to remove
support for the editing language via the Office 2007 Language settings -
apparently a popular option (Office Button Word Options Popular tab
Language Settings button Editing Languages tab)

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com