Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
John Penton John Penton is offline

Default MS-Word 2007 is re-ordering tables

I have a fairly straightforward document - text and inline tables -
though I have double line spacing and the tables are multi-page.
However, in a number of cases a table is getting munged - it exists
after a paragraph, and yet the first row of the table is being placed
at the top (right at the top) of the page before some or all of the
paragraph. A large amount of whitespace is left, then the end of the
paragraph and then (on the next page) the rest of the table.

"Allow row to break..." seems to work as expected - I either get some
or all of the first table row in the wrong place (though there is more
than enough space for all of it.
"Repeat as header row..." is _not_ on - and in any case, I wouldn't
expect this feature to move the header row beforw the preceding
paragraph.
The various paragraph controls "Widow/orphan", "Keep with..." etc.
appear to have no effect.

In one case I was able to fix this by changing the number of carriage
returns between the paragraph and the table, but it is not working in
all cases.

Anyone got any idea what is going on - or more importantly how I might
fix it.

John
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Not heard of this problem, but I am wondering if it could be the result of
having certain buttons added to the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT). Buttons known
to cause blue shading in table cells are €śDifferent first page€ť and
€śDifferent odd and even€ť and could be the cause of this starnge problem you
are experiencing. If you have one or both of these buttons added, try to
remove them. If that does not solve the problem, try to remove any other
buttons added to the QAT one by
one to see whether that helps.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"John Penton" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

On 8 Sep, 13:03, DeanH wrote:
"John Penton" wrote:
I have a fairly straightforward document - text and inline tables -
though I have double line spacing and the tables are multi-page.
However, in a number of cases a table is getting munged - it exists
after a paragraph, and yet the first row of the table is being placed
at the top (right at the top) of the page before some or all of the
paragraph. A large amount of whitespace is left, then the end of the
paragraph and then (on the next page) the rest of the table.

Not heard of this problem, but I am wondering if it could be the result of
having certain buttons added to the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT). Buttons known
to cause blue shading in table cells are “Different first page” and
“Different odd and even” and could be the cause of this starnge problem you
are experiencing. If you have one or both of these buttons added, try to
remove them. If that does not solve the problem, try to remove any other
buttons added to the QAT one by
one to see whether that helps.

Just checked (had to look up exactly which one was the QAT) - there
are no buttons on it apart from the defaults (Save/Undo/Redo).

:-(

John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I'm surprised you find this surprising. I believe many users don't change
the default settings at all. Also, the QAT is more or less hiding above the
ribbon (by default), which probably means not many people pay attention to
it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On 8 Sep, 13:03, DeanH wrote:
"John Penton" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I just don't see how anyone could use Word 2007 without adding a LOT of
buttons to the QAT. I'm hardly using it at all, and I've added 23 buttons or
other items, including a link to custom toolbars.

http://word.mvps.org

On 8 Sep, 13:03, DeanH wrote:
"John Penton" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

It is very easy to nudge a table out of its in-line (not wrapped) setting,
and the behavior you describe seems to be more like that of a wrapped object.
So my suggestion is that you check again to see whether that has happened.
If it has not then I would suspect that the odd behavior results from table
corruption. Try open and repair on the file. Please report back.

Pam

John Penton wrote:
[...]

Product ordering form Arup C Microsoft Word Help 1 November 2nd 07 12:45 PM
How do I auto complete forms when ordering on line? Fleur Microsoft Word Help 4 April 22nd 07 12:20 AM
word 2007; tables. ernest_young Tables 1 March 28th 07 03:35 AM
Re-ordering Pages in Large Document Cheri Microsoft Word Help 2 November 1st 06 05:29 PM
How do I change the ordering sequence on nested table? Hardik Tables 1 December 7th 04 09:13 PM