Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MaxArk[_22_] MaxArk[_22_] is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Some data Merging as Zero, not the text in the data


I am merging data from an Excel database into a word document using the
mail merge feature.

I am merging a column of data with a header name of "unit$".
I have noticed that in most cases it merges data accurately, but with
some instances, where the datasource is text, like upper, east , west
etc, it will merge into the document as a 0 (zero).

When I look at the merge field in the merge document, it shows as
"unit", not "unit$". I cannot seem to place "unit$", as all my efforts
automatically revert to "unit"

Is this the cause of my inaccurately merged data? Are "$" not permitted
in merge fields?

Jenn




--
MaxArk
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP Doug Robbins - Word MVP is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,832
Default Some data Merging as Zero, not the text in the data

The issue here is that when Word connects to an Excel data source, a
determination is made of the type of data that is in each of the fields by
the content of the first n records (n maybe 8, but not sure about that)

The problem that you are experiencing can be overcome by ensuring that the
first record in the datasource ( a dummy record if necessary) contains text
data
rather than numeric data.

You may also be able to overcome the issue by changing the way in which Word
connects to the datasource. That is done by checking the box for "Confirm
file format conversion on open" under Word OptionsAdvancedGeneral in Word
2007 or under ToolsOptionsGeneral in earlier versions. After you make
that change, when you attach the data source to the mail merge main
document, a dialog box will appear in which you can select the method by
which the attachment is made. Try the DDE option.

Another thing that should work is to specifically format the cells in that
column
in Excel as Text rather than having it formatted as General.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com

"MaxArk" wrote in message
...

I am merging data from an Excel database into a word document using the
mail merge feature.

I am merging a column of data with a header name of "unit$".
I have noticed that in most cases it merges data accurately, but with
some instances, where the datasource is text, like upper, east , west
etc, it will merge into the document as a 0 (zero).

When I look at the merge field in the merge document, it shows as
"unit", not "unit$". I cannot seem to place "unit$", as all my efforts
automatically revert to "unit"

Is this the cause of my inaccurately merged data? Are "$" not permitted
in merge fields?

Jenn




--
MaxArk


  #3   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson Peter Jamieson is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,582
Default Some data Merging as Zero, not the text in the data

There's a fairly detailed page about the "0" problem at

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0005.htm

(although it is a bit out of date).

Although Doug has told you most of the useful workarounds, changing the
format of the cell may or may not be enough once data of the wrong
format has already been entered. In that case, the following may do the
trick:
- select the column
- select the Data|Text to Columns... menu option
- click Next through the wizard until you reach Step 3 of 3, then
select Text as the Column Data Format.

When I look at the merge field in the merge document, it shows as
"unit", not "unit$". I cannot seem to place "unit$", as all my efforts
automatically revert to "unit"

Is this the cause of my inaccurately merged data? Are "$" not permitted
in merge fields?


No - the problem is the one described by Doug. The other problem is that
Word will strip out $ from field names, hence "unit" instead of "unit$",
but it only renames the field - it doesn't ignore it altogether.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 12/04/2010 03:47, MaxArk wrote:
I am merging data from an Excel database into a word document using the
mail merge feature.

I am merging a column of data with a header name of "unit$".
I have noticed that in most cases it merges data accurately, but with
some instances, where the datasource is text, like upper, east , west
etc, it will merge into the document as a 0 (zero).

When I look at the merge field in the merge document, it shows as
"unit", not "unit$". I cannot seem to place "unit$", as all my efforts
automatically revert to "unit"

Is this the cause of my inaccurately merged data? Are "$" not permitted
in merge fields?

Jenn




Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
merging data from Excel with data having digit "0" infront oldLearner57 Mailmerge 2 August 23rd 08 04:06 PM
Merging from 3 data sources JEverhart Mailmerge 1 August 21st 08 08:22 PM
My data is not merging as it appears in my data source Mary Mailmerge 1 September 21st 07 05:03 PM
Merging text with HTML tags as data source into single word docume Michael Mailmerge 2 June 21st 07 10:15 AM
Merging Data Kevin Microsoft Word Help 2 February 22nd 07 07:11 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:17 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Word"