Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default How to apply HeadingX to all paragraphs containing search string

I'm using wildcards to highlight all paragraphs containing a certain
string expression. I then click on Heading 1 (or 2, or whatever
number) to apply the Heading 1 style. This doesn't make the paragraph
into a Heading 1 paragraph. After some experimenting, I realized it's
because the highlighted portions do not encompass the whole
paragraph. I have many such style applications to do, for various
heading levels, each relying on the Find function to highlight a
certain string expression in all applicable paragraphs. Is there a
way to accomplish this?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

On Mar 20, 12:28 pm, Paul wrote:
I'm using wildcards to highlight all paragraphs containing a certain
string expression. I then click on Heading 1 (or 2, or whatever
number) to apply the Heading 1 style. This doesn't make the paragraph
into a Heading 1 paragraph. After some experimenting, I realized it's
because the highlighted portions do not encompass the whole
paragraph. I have many such style applications to do, for various
heading levels, each relying on the Find function to highlight a
certain string expression in all applicable paragraphs. Is there a
way to accomplish this?

A second best solution would be to take all paragraphs to which I
wanted to apply (say) Heading 2 and set the outline level so that
shows up in Outline View only when 2nd level headings are expanded
out. I haven't been able to access the Outline Level in the Reveal
Formatting panel. Outline Level only shows up if the paragraph is
actually of style Heading 1, and the whole problem is that it is
difficult to apply the proper Heading styles across the whole document
(original post).

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PamC PamC is offline

Your5 method could also create lots of unlinked styles. Not so good.
Instead create (I would just record) a macro that finds the string, deselects
the string by moving the cursor, and then applies the style. (As long as the
cursor is in the ppg--but has nothing selected--the style will apply to the
entire paragraph.) Then edit the code to make it loop. I got my tips on
how to do that from an Editorium.com article
(blog.editorium.com/2002/03/20/repeating-macros/) though I suspect that the
Word MVP site has similar helps.

PamC

"Paul" wrote:

I'm using wildcards to highlight all paragraphs containing a certain
string expression. I then click on Heading 1 (or 2, or whatever
number) to apply the Heading 1 style. This doesn't make the paragraph
into a Heading 1 paragraph. After some experimenting, I realized it's
because the highlighted portions do not encompass the whole
paragraph. I have many such style applications to do, for various
heading levels, each relying on the Find function to highlight a
certain string expression in all applicable paragraphs. Is there a
way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Will look into it. Thanks!

"Paul" wrote:
I'm using wildcards to highlight all paragraphs containing a certain
string expression. *I then click on Heading 1 (or 2, or whatever
number) to apply the Heading 1 style. *This doesn't make the paragraph
into a Heading 1 paragraph. *After some experimenting, I realized it's
because the highlighted portions do not encompass the whole
paragraph. *I have many such style applications to do, for various
heading levels, each relying on the Find function to highlight a
certain string expression in all applicable paragraphs. *Is there a
way to accomplish this?

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -