Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aushknotes aushknotes is offline

Default How to re-assign macro to Toolbar or Menu?

HI,

I have some existing toolbars and menus already? How can I edit an existing
control and re-assign another macro to it without the need to delelte the
existing one and adding a new one? I have browse thru most of the
documentation is Help or in MVP without any clue.

Cheers,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Not sure if this is exactly what you are after but have you tried Tools,
Customize, Commands tab, Keyboard button. Here you will find different
Categories, such as Macros and Shortcut key settings.
Always remember the "Save changes in:" which indicates the template that
your changes will be saved to.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"aushknotes" wrote:

HI,

I have some existing toolbars and menus already? How can I edit an existing
control and re-assign another macro to it without the need to delelte the
existing one and adding a new one? I have browse thru most of the
documentation is Help or in MVP without any clue.

Cheers,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aushknotes aushknotes is offline

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion but Yes I did try but I still cannot relate
Keyboard button to an existing toolbar. What I did according to you:

1) Customerize | Commands
2) Select Categories = Macros
3) Select template

This is it. There is nothing on the dialog box suggesting what toolbar I
want to assign the macro to. I can possibly assign the macro to a hot key
here. Am I correct or have I missed any important steps here?

"aushknotes" wrote:

HI,

I have some existing toolbars and menus already? How can I edit an existing
control and re-assign another macro to it without the need to delelte the
existing one and adding a new one? I have browse thru most of the
documentation is Help or in MVP without any clue.

Cheers,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

To locate a macro button within a toolbar - within the Customize function,
physically drag and drop the button onto the toolbar where you want it.
To assign a Shortcut Key to a macro - within Customize Keyboard, change
categories to Macros (may have to change the Template to display the MAcros
you want), all the macros should be shown in the listing on the right. Assign
away.
Again ensure you save these changes in the correct template. Nothing worst
than doing all the customizing, then come in the following day and you cannot
find anything because it is all saved into another template.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"aushknotes" wrote:

HI,

I have some existing toolbars and menus already? How can I edit an existing
control and re-assign another macro to it without the need to delelte the
existing one and adding a new one? I have browse thru most of the
documentation is Help or in MVP without any clue.

Cheers,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aushknotes aushknotes is offline

You did not read my words. I said I did try Keyboard function in the Commands
tab but could not assign the macro to a toolbar. I don't want to assign a
macro to a hot-key! What you said was just repeating what I did.

Again, let me clearly state my question again : I would like to know how I
can assign another macro to an existing item in an existing toolbar or menu?
Not to assign a macro to a hot-key nor to add a new one.

"aushknotes" wrote:

HI,

I have some existing toolbars and menus already? How can I edit an existing
control and re-assign another macro to it without the need to delelte the
existing one and adding a new one? I have browse thru most of the
documentation is Help or in MVP without any clue.

Cheers,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The long and short of it is that you can't "assign another macro to an
existing item in an existing toolbar or menu." What you can do is create a
*new* toolbar button for your macro, then copy the button face of the
existing button, paste it on your new button, and delete the existing
button. To do this, right-click on the old button, choose Copy Button Image,
then right-click on the new button and choose Paste Button Image.

"aushknotes" wrote:

HI,

I have some existing toolbars and menus already? How can I edit an
existing
control and re-assign another macro to it without the need to
delelte the
existing one and adding a new one? I have browse thru most of the
documentation is Help or in MVP without any clue.

Cheers,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aushknotes aushknotes is offline

Thanks very much, Suzanne. That is the kind of answer I am looking for . Yes
is yes. No is no. No fooling around.

Happy Easter!!

"aushknotes" wrote:

HI,

I have some existing toolbars and menus already? How can I edit an
existing
control and re-assign another macro to it without the need to
delelte the
existing one and adding a new one? I have browse thru most of the
documentation is Help or in MVP without any clue.

Cheers,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad you found it helpful. I did have a happy Easter, though I went from
semi-tropical Gulf Coast weather (highs up to 80° F.) to what apparently was
the coldest weather so far this year in Surrey, England, with snow on Easter
morning!