Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tallahassee Lassie Tallahassee Lassie is offline

Default Track changes - changing where deletions appear

I'm an editor working in Word 2007 and when I use track changes all the
deletions show up in the text with strikethroughs. This imakes the text very
hard to read while I work. "Help" tells me that in 'Normal' View it will show
the changes in margin balloons rather than strikethroughs, which is what I
want. But when I click on the View tab, I don't have a 'Normal' option - and
I've tried clicking on each of the options available but none of them shows
the deletions in balloons; all continue to show it as strikethroughs. Thanks
for any help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PamC PamC is offline

First you have to set things up.

Choose Review tab Track changes Change tracking options. In the lower
part of the dialog is the section Balloons, choose Always.

Now your deletions will show up in balloons when you are in the *print
layout* view and in the text (crossed out) when you are in draft (previously
called normal) view.

I'm an editor too and strongly prefer to use balloons only for
comments--where I place my queries. But I have several friends who prefer
your way. And others who don't like balloons at all.

Hope this helps.

Pam

"Tallahassee Lassie" wrote:

I'm an editor working in Word 2007 and when I use track changes all the
deletions show up in the text with strikethroughs. This imakes the text very
hard to read while I work. "Help" tells me that in 'Normal' View it will show
the changes in margin balloons rather than strikethroughs, which is what I
want. But when I click on the View tab, I don't have a 'Normal' option - and
I've tried clicking on each of the options available but none of them shows
the deletions in balloons; all continue to show it as strikethroughs. Thanks
for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tallahassee Lassie[_2_] Tallahassee Lassie[_2_] is offline

Pam,
You have saved my teeth (from grinding) and hours of work - not to mention
my marriage. Many thanks!

"Tallahassee Lassie" wrote:

I'm an editor working in Word 2007 and when I use track changes all the
deletions show up in the text with strikethroughs. This imakes the text very
hard to read while I work. "Help" tells me that in 'Normal' View it will show
the changes in margin balloons rather than strikethroughs, which is what I
want. But when I click on the View tab, I don't have a 'Normal' option - and
I've tried clicking on each of the options available but none of them shows
the deletions in balloons; all continue to show it as strikethroughs. Thanks
for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tallahassee Lassie[_2_] Tallahassee Lassie[_2_] is offline

Ah ha! Thanks. Microsoft needs to do some homework - I clicked on Help within
Word 2007 and at one point got a message saying something like 'Note: You
must have Word 2003 installed on your computer'. Sure glad I didn't get
Vista...

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 14:23:00 -0700, Tallahassee Lassie Tallahassee
wrote:

I'm an editor working in Word 2007 and when I use track changes all the
deletions show up in the text with strikethroughs. This imakes the text very
hard to read while I work. "Help" tells me that in 'Normal' View it will show
the changes in margin balloons rather than strikethroughs, which is what I
want. But when I click on the View tab, I don't have a 'Normal' option - and
I've tried clicking on each of the options available but none of them shows
the deletions in balloons; all continue to show it as strikethroughs. Thanks
for any help!

You must have found Help for a previous version of Word. What used to be called
Normal view is now named Draft view. Anyway, in Word 2003 and 2007, balloons are
visible only in Print Layout and Web Layout views, not in Normal/Draft view.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman