Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Asa Cronqvist Asa Cronqvist is offline

Default document name in Word 2003

I have made a template. Lets call it test.dot.

When my client opens a document based on the template, the document is
automatically named test1. The next document she opens is named test2.
Etc. But when I open a document based on the same template - I get
document1, document2, etc. What I want is the latter. My client also
wants document1, etc.

Can anybody help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Is the user using FileNew and selecting the template as the basis for the
document that she wants to create? Or is she using FileOpen and selecting
the template (actually opening the template, not creating a new document
from it)?

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Asa Cronqvist" wrote in message
I have made a template. Lets call it test.dot.

When my client opens a document based on the template, the document is
automatically named test1. The next document she opens is named test2.
Etc. But when I open a document based on the same template - I get
document1, document2, etc. What I want is the latter. My client also
wants document1, etc.

Can anybody help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Asa Cronqvist Asa Cronqvist is offline

She is double-clicking on it, which is the same as File, New. She is
not opening the template. If she did - she wouldn't get the number
after the file name. She would get the exact file name. A colleague
suggested this might have something to to with leftover temp-files
after Word crashed. I will try to delete those and see if that helps.
Another colleague suggested it might have something to do with service
packs. I will find out.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The naming convention suggests that what she is doing is Open as Copy, but
since that's not even one of the actions that can be chosen as default, you
may be right about the temp files.

http://word.mvps.org