Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
scribblemaven scribblemaven is offline

Default How do I insert headers and page numbers with exclusions?

I'm trying to insert headers that include the page number, but do not want
the header on certain pages. How do I get the header to apply globally, but
with these exceptions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJY PJY is offline

Insert a section break on the page before the page in which you do not want a
page number. On the page that you do not want a page number to appear, open
the header and deselect link to previous, then delete the page number that is
in that header, do the same to resume page numbering.

"scribblemaven" wrote:

I'm trying to insert headers that include the page number, but do not want
the header on certain pages. How do I get the header to apply globally, but
with these exceptions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
scribblemaven scribblemaven is offline

Thanks for your answer! Unfortunately, this method only seems to work
intermittently, and, for a document of any length, is incredibly
time-consuming. Is there really no other way to indicate pages that should
not have headers?

"scribblemaven" wrote:

I'm trying to insert headers that include the page number, but do not want
the header on certain pages. How do I get the header to apply globally, but
with these exceptions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"scribblemaven" wrote:

Thanks for your answer! Unfortunately, this method only seems to work
intermittently, and, for a document of any length, is incredibly
time-consuming. Is there really no other way to indicate pages that should
not have headers?

It does not "work intermittently", it works all the time.

It really is not difficult and fairly fast once you get used to it. This is
not just a "method", this is the way of doing things. The only other
approach would require flawless logic based on a mathematical equation to
determine the pages that are different. In that case, you could use fields to
automatically display different content in the headers/footers. Failing that,
you need section breaks.

Here's how I do it, it is quick and painless.

Let,s say I have the following:

pages 2, 3, 4 and 5 are all part of section 2 and have the same header.

I need page 4 to have a different header (no header).

From page 2, I do CTRL-Page Down until I get to the top of page 4.
There I insert a Section Break (Next Page).
I do CTRL-Page Down to go to the top of Page 5.
I insert another Section Break (Next Page).
Right away I double-click in the header space at the top of page 5 (Where my
cursor is already locatred).
I uncheck "Link to Previous".
Then, using the arrows in the Header toolbar, I go to the previous Header
(Page 4).
Again, I uncheck "Link to Previous".
Then I do CTRL-A (To select the whole Header) and I hit Delete.
I double-click in the main body area to go back to my cursor at the top of
page 5.
Done.

Now I have
pages 2, 3 - Section 2
page 4 - Section 3
and page 5 - Section 4

It looks complicated and lengthy when spelt out like this, but really, it
only takes a few seconds once you get the hang of it.