Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beach Lover Beach Lover is offline

Default Word 2007 - WinXP SP2 - Normal.dotm not being used

1. While in Word, I changed my font to Times New Roman 12 and saved it as
the default font. When I open a new Word document using the Word
application, this works correctly.

However, when I open a new Word document from the desktop (right click
desktop, click New, click Microsoft Office Word Document) or from a folder
which has been added as a desktop shortcut (Open the folder, click File,
click New, click MS Office Word Document), the factory default font
(Calibri-body 11) is being used.

2. I also want to force all documents to open in Draft View regardless of
how they were saved or where they came from, so I added the below macro to my
Normal.dotm template (C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates\normal.dotm):

Sub AutoOpen()
ActiveWindow.View = wdNormalView
End Sub

Then I enabled opening docs in Draft view, which is in the Word Options:
Office Button |Word Options | Advanced | General |Allow Opening a Document in
Draft View.

When opening a new Word document using the Word application, the above works
correctly.

However, when I open a new Word document from the desktop (right click
desktop, click New, click MS Office Word Document) or from a folder which has
been added as a desktop shortcut (Open the folder, click File, click New,
click Microsoft Office Word Document), the document opens in Draft View, but
the font is back to the factory default font of Calibri-body 11.

I don't understand why only part of the modification to the normal.dotm file
is showing up when opening from the desktop or a shortcut folder on the
desktop.

Can anyone tell me where the template is located that is being used when
opening a new Word document from the desktop or a shortcut folder on the
desktop so that it can be modified?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Please see my reply to your duplicate post in the office.misc (General)
newsgroup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton

What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

"Beach Lover" wrote in message
[...]

Normal.dotm was being edited by another Word seesion ... Dave Horne New Users 5 March 4th 08 11:47 AM
Normal.dotm Rick Microsoft Word Help 1 August 30th 07 06:45 AM
Convert normal.dot in W2000 to normal.dotm in W2007 Why did I update Microsoft Word Help 3 August 8th 07 09:42 PM
Word 2007 wants to, but can't save Normal.dotm JSL Microsoft Word Help 1 February 23rd 07 07:37 PM
Word 2007: Where is Normal.dotm Oskar Busch New Users 1 July 25th 06 11:17 PM