Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nancy Nancy is offline

Default Comma-delimited text format

I have a listing of names & addresses, etc, in a comma-delimited text format.
I have tried to convert the listing to a table in Word, and then
transferring the data to Excel. I think I'm trying to do the impossible, but
this list consists of 3,000 names and I want to be able to sort by State,
either in Word or Excel. I don't have the programming knowledge to do this.
Can anyone help, please??????
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Nancy" wrote:
I have a listing of names & addresses, etc, in a comma-delimited text
format.
I have tried to convert the listing to a table in Word, and then
transferring the data to Excel. I think I'm trying to do the impossible,
but
this list consists of 3,000 names and I want to be able to sort by State,
either in Word or Excel. I don't have the programming knowledge to do
this.
Can anyone help, please??????

Hi Nancy,

If it's a comma delimited text file, Excel has a wizard that takes you
through all the steps.

Just try to open the text file in Excel... Have you tried it?
It's probably much easier than going through Word.

Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nancy Nancy is offline

Hello Klaus,
Thank you for responding. I received the listing as an e-mail and have just
re-saved it as a .txt file. I did open it in Excel, but the information runs
together, not each comma-delimited field in a separate cell. Is there a way
for me to format the spreadsheet?
Thanks again,
Nancy

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

"Nancy" wrote:
I have a listing of names & addresses, etc, in a comma-delimited text
format.
I have tried to convert the listing to a table in Word, and then
transferring the data to Excel. I think I'm trying to do the impossible,
but
this list consists of 3,000 names and I want to be able to sort by State,
either in Word or Excel. I don't have the programming knowledge to do
this.
Can anyone help, please??????

Hi Nancy,

If it's a comma delimited text file, Excel has a wizard that takes you
through all the steps.

Just try to open the text file in Excel... Have you tried it?
It's probably much easier than going through Word.

Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Dan Freeman" wrote:
Change the file's extension from .txt to .csv

Maybe that'll do the trick, though the text conversion wizard kicks in any
time I try to open a text file, no matter what the extension.

If it doesn't for Nancy, maybe someone in the Excel groups knows what
option(s) to change...

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Klaus Linke wrote:
"Dan Freeman" wrote:
Change the file's extension from .txt to .csv

Maybe that'll do the trick, though the text conversion wizard kicks
in any time I try to open a text file, no matter what the extension.

If it doesn't for Nancy, maybe someone in the Excel groups knows what
option(s) to change...

I've never actually seen that wizard. g When I double-click a CSV file,
Excel jumps up and properly parses it.

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

My bad... you're right!
I don't know why Nancy didn't see the wizard for her *.txt file though...
But then I don't know much of anything about Excel.

Klaus

"Dan Freeman" wrote:
Change the file's extension from .txt to .csv

Maybe that'll do the trick, though the text conversion wizard kicks
in any time I try to open a text file, no matter what the extension.

If it doesn't for Nancy, maybe someone in the Excel groups knows what
option(s) to change...

I've never actually seen that wizard. g When I double-click a CSV file,
Excel jumps up and properly parses it.

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

I actually try to avoid Excel g, but I've been using it lately to check
CSV output from an application.

Dan

"Dan Freeman" wrote:
Change the file's extension from .txt to .csv

Maybe that'll do the trick, though the text conversion wizard kicks
in any time I try to open a text file, no matter what the extension.

If it doesn't for Nancy, maybe someone in the Excel groups knows
what option(s) to change...

I've never actually seen that wizard. g When I double-click a CSV
file, Excel jumps up and properly parses it.

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nancy Nancy is offline

Klaus & Dan,
I so appreciate your input. I cannot seem to get this to work. Dan, you
mentioned that when you double-click a CSV file, excel jumps up and properly
parses it. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right....I saved the e-mail as a
..txt file then opened it in Excel, and re-saved it as a CSV file with the
same results. I don't know what "parses" means. Perhaps I need a "computing
for dummies" - I'm blonde, but .......
Nancy

"Dan Freeman" wrote:
Change the file's extension from .txt to .csv

Maybe that'll do the trick, though the text conversion wizard kicks
in any time I try to open a text file, no matter what the extension.

If it doesn't for Nancy, maybe someone in the Excel groups knows
what option(s) to change...

I've never actually seen that wizard. g When I double-click a CSV
file, Excel jumps up and properly parses it.

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

Just rename the original file using Windows Explorer. Once you've renamed
it, double click on it (again, in Windows explorer). If it was already
comma-delimited, there's not need to re-save it. Just rename it. Might be a
good idea at this point and go back to the original Email, and this time
when you save the attachment give it the .csv extension instead of .txt.

Parsing just means that Excel properly puts the values between each comma in
a column of its own.

Dan