Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Obenshain Beth Obenshain is offline

Default How to do footer "Page X of Y" where Y=sections 2-Z

I want a footer that says "Page X of Y" in a document that has multiple
sections. The first section is a cover page and TOC, so I don't want those
pages included in the count.

The document is being used as a template, so the number of sections may
vary. The section breaks are necessary because some pages are portrait while
others are landscape.

I know about using {SECTIONPAGES} and I'm hoping there's a similar field
that will give the specific results I'm looking for. I'll really appreciate
any advice I can get! Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Page {Page} of {Numpages} will work, but you need to set the page numbering
to continue from the previous section at each new section.

Beth Obenshain wrote:
I want a footer that says "Page X of Y" in a document that has
multiple sections. The first section is a cover page and TOC, so I
don't want those pages included in the count.

The document is being used as a template, so the number of sections
may vary. The section breaks are necessary because some pages are
portrait while others are landscape.

I know about using {SECTIONPAGES} and I'm hoping there's a similar
field that will give the specific results I'm looking for. I'll
really appreciate any advice I can get! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Obenshain Beth Obenshain is offline

Graham: Thanks for responding. However, NUMPAGES shows the number of pages in
the doc. I don't want the pages in section 1 to be included in the page
count. Is there a way to do that?

Beth Obenshain wrote:
I want a footer that says "Page X of Y" in a document that has
multiple sections. The first section is a cover page and TOC, so I
don't want those pages included in the count.

The document is being used as a template, so the number of sections
may vary. The section breaks are necessary because some pages are
portrait while others are landscape.

I know about using {SECTIONPAGES} and I'm hoping there's a similar
field that will give the specific results I'm looking for. I'll
really appreciate any advice I can get! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pcrapse pcrapse is offline

I have a similar (but probably more complex) issue ...

I have a user that wants page numbers on all pages except the last page. So
if there are 7 pages total, the pages numbers on the first six pages should
be "1 of 6", "2 of 6" and so forth.

I found a solution that recommended placing a bookmark at the end of the
last page and using the PAGEREF field code instead of NUMPAGES. However, if
the document gets changed, I fear the bookmark will have to be recreated on
each document.

The document is a template that is used to create several documents a day by
several users. So having to fix the issue for every document isn't an
option. And the template has several section breaks.

Any ideas?

"Beth Obenshain" wrote:

I want a footer that says "Page X of Y" in a document that has multiple
sections. The first section is a cover page and TOC, so I don't want those
pages included in the count.

The document is being used as a template, so the number of sections may
vary. The section breaks are necessary because some pages are portrait while
others are landscape.

I know about using {SECTIONPAGES} and I'm hoping there's a similar field
that will give the specific results I'm looking for. I'll really appreciate
any advice I can get! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you deduct the cover page and the TOC page from the count you could use
instead

Page {Page} of {={Numpages} - 2}

Beth Obenshain wrote:
I want a footer that says "Page X of Y" in a document that has
multiple sections. The first section is a cover page and TOC, so I
don't want those pages included in the count.

The document is being used as a template, so the number of sections
may vary. The section breaks are necessary because some pages are
portrait while others are landscape.

I know about using {SECTIONPAGES} and I'm hoping there's a similar
field that will give the specific results I'm looking for. I'll
really appreciate any advice I can get! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

{IF {Page} {Numpages}"{Page} of {={Numpages} - 1}"}

should do the trick.

"Beth Obenshain" wrote:

I want a footer that says "Page X of Y" in a document that has
multiple sections. The first section is a cover page and TOC, so I
don't want those pages included in the count.

The document is being used as a template, so the number of sections
may vary. The section breaks are necessary because some pages are
portrait while others are landscape.

I know about using {SECTIONPAGES} and I'm hoping there's a similar
field that will give the specific results I'm looking for. I'll
really appreciate any advice I can get! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Obenshain Beth Obenshain is offline

Thanks Graham! That's exactly what I was looking for.

If I took this a step further, I'd be looking to automate the value of "2"
in your example below. Is it possible to do this in a formula? In other
words, is there a way to write:

Page {Page} of {={Numpages} - Numpages in Section 1}

Beth Obenshain wrote:
I want a footer that says "Page X of Y" in a document that has
multiple sections. The first section is a cover page and TOC, so I
don't want those pages included in the count.

The document is being used as a template, so the number of sections
may vary. The section breaks are necessary because some pages are
portrait while others are landscape.

I know about using {SECTIONPAGES} and I'm hoping there's a similar
field that will give the specific results I'm looking for. I'll
really appreciate any advice I can get! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pcrapse pcrapse is offline

I forgot to mention ... We currently use a similar formula and it produces
the correct result. Our formula:

{Page} of {=(-1) + {NumPages}}

But ... The documents are stored in a SharePoint library that forces
check-out, so the documents open in Read-Only mode. When the document is
opened in Read-Only mode, the {=(-1) + {NumPages}} doesn't calculate. Once
they click Check Out, it will display the page numbers. However, the users
batch print several documents and don't want to have check out all the
documents just to get the page numbers to display.

They used to manually type the page numbers, but once the documents get
revised the page numbers all have to be manually changed.

"Beth Obenshain" wrote:

I want a footer that says "Page X of Y" in a document that has
multiple sections. The first section is a cover page and TOC, so I
don't want those pages included in the count.

The document is being used as a template, so the number of sections
may vary. The section breaks are necessary because some pages are
portrait while others are landscape.

I know about using {SECTIONPAGES} and I'm hoping there's a similar
field that will give the specific results I'm looking for. I'll
really appreciate any advice I can get! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

OK - somewhere convenient in Section 1, where it will not be accidentally
deleted, enter a SET field thus
{ SET A "{ SectionPages }" }

Then replace the suggested field with

Page {Page} of {={Numpages} - { A }}