Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Robinson Dave Robinson is offline

Default Applying a template in Word 2007

I have a 2003 document that was sent to me that has many, many styles. How
do I convert the document to use only my 2007 Normal.dotm styles?

I did the Developer/templates/attach/Normal.dotm thing and nothing happened.
--
Dave Robinson
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 12:56:08 -0700, Dave Robinson wrote:

I have a 2003 document that was sent to me that has many, many styles. How
do I convert the document to use only my 2007 Normal.dotm styles?

I did the Developer/templates/attach/Normal.dotm thing and nothing happened.

As Shauna Kelly writes at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html, that "nothing" is to
be expected.

If you check the "Automatically update document styles" box in the Templates
dialog and click OK -- and then immediately go back and uncheck it again, lest
the wrath of the gods descend upon you -- that will _add_ any styles that are in
the new template that weren't already in the document. It will also _redefine_
any styles that have the same name in the document and in the new template. But
it won't remove any styles that are in the document but not in the new template.

Probably the better scheme is to create a new blank document based on the 2007
Normal.dotm, copy the contents of the 2003 document, paste into the blank
document as unformatted text, and then apply styles only where needed. That will
likely be faster and more reliable than the other method, and faster still if
some or all of the formatting can be applied by the Replace dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement