Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lizajane90 lizajane90 is offline

Default Letterhead: background as placeholder only (not printed)

I'm working in Word 2003. I've created two identical letterhead templates
that only have one difference. In the first, I want the background to print.
In the second, I do NOT want the background to print so I can print it to
actual pre-printed letterhead paper.

I inserted the jpg background in headers & footers. When I go to Tools,
Options and try turning off the "drawing objects" and "background colors and
images" it does it for all of Word, not just one specific document. Is this
possible? I've read nearly all the the posts here and can't find an answer.
What am I missing?

Please help. Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you have two identical templates, one with an image and one without, then
the one with the image will print and the one without won't, because it
doesn't have an image to print. You don't need to do anything else. What you
can't do is attach the templates after you have created the document and
expect the image to follow. If you want the same template for both then you
need a macro that will change the brightness of the image to 100% which
makes it white and therefore non-printing.
e.g. The following macro will toggle a background image - "Picture 2"

ActiveDocument.Shapes("Picture 2").Select
If Selection.ShapeRange.PictureFormat.Brightness = 0.5 Then
Selection.ShapeRange.PictureFormat.Brightness = 1#
Else: Selection.ShapeRange.PictureFormat.Brightness = 0.5
End If

It should be possible to adapt this technique to blank out the images and
text (by formatting that as white) that you want blanked as part of a print
macro in the document template and thus remove the need to have two
templates.

lizajane90 wrote:
I'm working in Word 2003. I've created two identical letterhead
templates that only have one difference. In the first, I want the
background to print. In the second, I do NOT want the background to
print so I can print it to actual pre-printed letterhead paper.

I inserted the jpg background in headers & footers. When I go to
Tools, Options and try turning off the "drawing objects" and
"background colors and images" it does it for all of Word, not just
one specific document. Is this possible? I've read nearly all the the
posts here and can't find an answer. What am I missing?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Send me a copy of the template with the graphic(s) and I will see what may
be possible tomorrow. Use the link on my web site.