Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JEverhart JEverhart is offline

Default Merging from 3 data sources

I just posted this a while ago, received a reply, but can't get in to see it.
I have one Word doc, 3 data sources. How can I merge into that Word doc
using those 3 data sources? There is too much to combine all 3 sheets into
one.
--
JEverhart
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Well, I have posted this reply in both branches of the conversation.

OK, to /merge/ into a pre-existing table layout with a fixed cell layout
(column 1 with 20 cells, column 2 with 10 cells etc., unless I have
misunderstood?) is difficult because Word wants to fill the cells row by
row, i.e. row1col1, row1col2, row1col3, row2col1 etc. So you would really
have to rearrange your data in that sequence.

In this case it might be easier not to use a merge, but to copy/paste
special|paste link each cell into your table. In fact, if you select the
first cell you want to use in Excel, then edit copy, then edit|paste, paste
link (use a plain text or rtf format) into word, then use Alt-F9 to reveal
the pasted LINK field code in Word. You should be able to copy the LINK
field and modify the workbook/sheet/cell reference for each cell in your
table.

(You'd need Excel on the machine that's going to do the "merge" to do it
that way).

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk