Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
bufossil bufossil is offline

Default Global command to restart all numbered lists at 1?

I am using Word 2007 on a Windows XP platform.

I have a document that is nearly 300 pages long. It was produced with a
different authoring tool, which publishes output to Word.

When the content arrived in Word 2007, not a single one of the numbered
lists started over at 1. When I check the List Number style, the properties
say, "Start at: 1", but it never did.

Is there a global command to restart all List Number sets at 1? There is at
least one Heading 2 and one Heading 3 between each set of numbered lists.

Thank you!

Tim
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In Word, the safest way to restart numbering is to make it part of a
multilevel list, having higher levels restart lower ones.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"bufossil" wrote in message
I am using Word 2007 on a Windows XP platform.

I have a document that is nearly 300 pages long. It was produced with a
different authoring tool, which publishes output to Word.

When the content arrived in Word 2007, not a single one of the numbered
lists started over at 1. When I check the List Number style, the
properties
say, "Start at: 1", but it never did.

Is there a global command to restart all List Number sets at 1? There is
at
least one Heading 2 and one Heading 3 between each set of numbered lists.

Thank you!

Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"bufossil" wrote:
I am using Word 2007 on a Windows XP platform.

I have a document that is nearly 300 pages long. It was produced with a
different authoring tool, which publishes output to Word.

When the content arrived in Word 2007, not a single one of the numbered
lists started over at 1. When I check the List Number style, the
properties
say, "Start at: 1", but it never did.

Is there a global command to restart all List Number sets at 1? There is
at
least one Heading 2 and one Heading 3 between each set of numbered lists.

Thank you!

Hi Tim,

Just to make a bit of sense of Word's strange concept of lists:
No matter whether you apply numbering "manually" with the numbering button,
or whether you apply it using a style (such as "List Number"), Word
considers the whole document one long list.
If you have multiple lists (or what you anbd I consider "lists"), to Word
it's one large list with multiple restarts.

"Start at: 1" refers to the whole "Word list".
For what you (and I) consider a list, you have to either follow Stefan's
advice, or apply REstarts (say from the dialog, or right-click in the
paragraph and choose the Restart item in the context menu).

You could also write a macro to apply a restart after each Heading.
I'm not guaranteeing it'll work, but below is an attempt.
If you're not used to use macros, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm

Regards,
Klaus

Sub RestartListsAfterHeadings()
Dim myPara As Paragraph
Dim boolRestart As Boolean
boolRestart = False
For Each myPara In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs
If myPara.Format.OutlineLevel 4 Then
' Restart after a heading (= outline) level 1-3 is found:
boolRestart = True
End If
' Is the paragraph a list paragraph?
If myPara.Range.ListParagraphs.Count 0 Then
' Para is list para and comes after Heading 1-3?
If boolRestart = True Then
' - apply restart...
With myPara.Range.ListFormat
.ApplyListTemplate .ListTemplate, _
ContinuePreviousList:=False, _
ApplyTo:=wdListApplyToThisPointForward
End With
' ...and reset boolRestart to FALSE so that the other
' list items up to the next heading are ignored:
boolRestart = False
End If
End If
Next myPara
End Sub

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
bufossil bufossil is offline

Hi Stefan:

I thought Word would interpret the Heading 1 and Heading 2 that separates
the numbered lists as the multilevel separators. What do I need to do in
order to let Word know it can restart numbered lists after a Heading 1 or
Heading 2?

Thanks!

"bufossil" wrote in message
I am using Word 2007 on a Windows XP platform.

I have a document that is nearly 300 pages long. It was produced with a
different authoring tool, which publishes output to Word.

When the content arrived in Word 2007, not a single one of the numbered
lists started over at 1. When I check the List Number style, the
properties
say, "Start at: 1", but it never did.

Is there a global command to restart all List Number sets at 1? There is
at
least one Heading 2 and one Heading 3 between each set of numbered lists.

Thank you!

Tim

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Stefan must be off line. So I'll try to help. Your regular text numbered
items must be set up in the same numbering list as your headings. After you
have linked the headings to numbering levels, you must have enough numbering
levels left for linking them to your regular text numbered item styles. If
your numbered items are 1, a, and i, you need three levels free.

You can create your own numbered item styles or use Word's built-in styles
such as list number, list number 2, etc. If you set the first numbered item
style to restart after the lowest heading level, it will restart after that
one and any heading above it.

Pam

bufossil wrote:
Hi Stefan:

I thought Word would interpret the Heading 1 and Heading 2 that separates
the numbered lists as the multilevel separators. What do I need to do in
order to let Word know it can restart numbered lists after a Heading 1 or
Heading 2?

Thanks!

In Word, the safest way to restart numbering is to make it part of a
multilevel list, having higher levels restart lower ones.

[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
bufossil bufossil is offline

Thanks Pamelia, here's an update.

First, I am using a different authoring tool, which publishes content to
Word. So, I go into Word and set up the template ahead of time, so when the
content is published to Word, it has the format I need.

In the Word template, I have verified the following:

Heading 1 is set to outline level 1.
Heading 2 is set to outline level 2.
Heading 3 is set to outline level 3.

So, I went into the List Number style, and set the paragraph properties to
outline level 4.

Then, I went back into my authoring tool, and published the content into
Word, using the updated Word template.

None of the numbered lists restart at 1. All List Number styles
automatically continue the numbering from the previous list, even though
separated by many heading 2 and heading 3 styles.

I went into the List Number properties and verified that it does, indeed,
indicate the paragraph is set to be outline level 4.

I think I am going to try Klaus' macro idea.

By the way, what would be the real world purpose for numbered lists that are
separated by several headings to continue from the previous list? Why would
this be the default configuration for numbered lists in Word?

bufossil wrote:
Hi Stefan:

I thought Word would interpret the Heading 1 and Heading 2 that separates
the numbered lists as the multilevel separators. What do I need to do in
order to let Word know it can restart numbered lists after a Heading 1 or
Heading 2?

Thanks!

In Word, the safest way to restart numbering is to make it part of a
multilevel list, having higher levels restart lower ones.

[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
bufossil bufossil is offline

Hey Klaus, thanks for the suggestion. I ran the macro you provided, and it
ran without any errors. However, it did not restart a single List Number
list anywhere in the document. Does the macro need to specify that the list
that needs to be restarted is a List Number style?

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

"bufossil" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

It's not clear from your description that you set up an outline (W2003)
/multilevel (W2007) list where you linked a numbering level to a paragraph
style. If you have already set up the list, check to make sure the
numbering level 4 (the one linked to the list number paragraph style) is set
to restart after numbering level 3. If that doesn't fix the problem, post
back.

Otherwise, to set up a list put the cursor in the first heading 1 in your
document and ...

If you are using W2003 and before, set up the list by modifying heading 1
(modify numbering outline numbering). Choose a built-in list that is
close to what you want and is linked to styles, such 1 Heading 1, 1.1
Heading 2, etc. Then click customize.

If you are using W2007, set up the list by creating a new multilevel list:
Click the multilevel list button. Choose a list gallery icon that is close
to what you want and is linked to styles, such as
1 Heading 1, 1.1 Heading 2, etc.. You'll be dropped out of the list
function. Click the multilivel list icon again and then Define new
multilevel list.

In the "customize/define new..." dialog, the first three numbering levels
may be what you want. Go to numbering level 4 and link it to the list
number paragraph style. Make sure it is set to restart after level 3.

See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html for more
information the choices in the dialog.

HTH,
Pam

bufossil wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

My mistake... Try to replace
ApplyTo:=wdListApplyToThisPointForward
with
ApplyTo:=wdListApplyToWholeList

Not sure what's happening, but that seems to make it work here.

Regards,
Klaus