Kim Lambert

Default Controlling size when insert photos Word 2002

I'm printing a 2-page newsletter which is about 41 Kb. without photos. When
I insert two photos, sized 75 and 92 Kb. respectively, the file increases
dramatically to 1.5 Mb. I've searched the archives but can find no answer to
why the file increases so much or how I might decrease it.

I have also tried linking to the photos. This works fine on my computer, and
the file remains @ 42 Kb., except when I e-mail it I get only red X's
instead of the photos.

Can anyone suggest a solution to these problems, or steer me in the right
direction? Many thanks..........Kim

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Kim,

Word has made great progress in the past decade with storing graphics
information in its file format. But generally it has problems with graphics
compression, and if it can't handle the compression, stores the graphic as a
bmp. I suspect that's what's happening, here.

Since you don't mention what graphics format these photos are, it's difficult
to make concrete suggestions. Also, you haven't posted to the best forum for
this type of question; you'll tend to find people who know more about this
in the word.Drawing.Graphics newsgroup.

In a general way, I'd say trying saving the photos in a graphics program to a
different file format and see if that makes any difference.

I'm printing a 2-page newsletter which is about 41 Kb. without photos. When
I insert two photos, sized 75 and 92 Kb. respectively, the file increases
dramatically to 1.5 Mb. I've searched the archives but can find no answer to
why the file increases so much or how I might decrease it.

I have also tried linking to the photos. This works fine on my computer, and
the file remains @ 42 Kb., except when I e-mail it I get only red X's
instead of the photos.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Kim Lambert

Hi Cindy -- thanks for your suggestion about a different file format. I had
saved the file, including the photos, in RTF format. That was the problem.
When I saved it as a word.doc file, the size was reduced considerably.
Thanks again for your response. Take care ....Kim

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Kim,

I had
saved the file, including the photos, in RTF format. That was the problem.
When I saved it as a word.doc file, the size was reduced considerably.

Yep, that would certainly do it :-) Glad you're in good shape, now.

Cindy Meister