BrandNewOffice2003User

Default Why doesn't Status Bar show Page Number or Line Number?

The Page Number DOES NOT show on the Status Bar even though there are
multiple pages in my document. If the Status Bar is displayed then the Page
Number should be displayed. Unfortunately this is not the case. Not only
is the Page Number not dispayed, but the Line Number is not displayed.
What is wrong?

Jay Freedman

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:19:06 -0700, "BrandNewOffice2003User"
m wrote:

The Page Number DOES NOT show on the Status Bar even though there are
multiple pages in my document. If the Status Bar is displayed then the Page
Number should be displayed. Unfortunately this is not the case. Not only
is the Page Number not dispayed, but the Line Number is not displayed.
What is wrong?

I can't quite duplicate that behavior. That is, I can't completely get
rid of the page number.

If I start with a blank document in Normal view, and go to Tools
Options General and uncheck "Background repagination", then the
status bar always says "Page 1" and there are no Line number or Col
number. When the background repagination is turned on or the view is
switched to Print Layout (which automatically turns on repagination),
then the status bar starts showing correct numbers.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
BrandNewOffice2003User

Jezebel:

The "Page" was shadowed and the page number was blank.

The solution, as suggested by Jay Freedman was to check "Background
repagination" in Tools/General. So I checked it and viola! Now the Status
Bar is fully functional.

Thanks.

"Jezebel" wrote:

What IS showing there?

"BrandNewOffice2003User" m
wrote in message ...
The Page Number DOES NOT show on the Status Bar even though there are
multiple pages in my document. If the Status Bar is displayed then the
Page
Number should be displayed. Unfortunately this is not the case. Not
only
is the Page Number not dispayed, but the Line Number is not displayed.
What is wrong?

Page numbers are not displayed:

* In Web Layout view

* When a document is opened in Normal view with background repagination
disabled (if this option is disabled after the document has been opened and
repagination has been accomplished, page numbers will still be displayed)

At and Ln numbers are not displayed:

* In Web Layout view

* In Normal view with "Draft font" enabled (oddly, "Wrap to window" doesn't
have this effect, even though the position and line numbers represent the
onscreen display and not the printed document)

m wrote:

[...]

BrandNewOffice2003User

Jay:

You are a genius. Actually "Background repagination" was UNchecked. So I
checked it and viola! Now the Status Bar is fully functional.

Thanks much, BrandNewOffice2003User

m wrote:

[...]

shaz

hello, i have a similar problem and i dont want to create a new thread for
it. in, my old version of word, 2000 i blieve it was... the page number, line
number etc were not blanked out. so if i wanted to go to page 32, for
example, i could just type 32 in the box and press enter. i dont seem to have
this function in word 2003.

i tried to do what you guys have done, and go to tools - general etc. but
it seems my "background repagination" is already ticked, but greyed out so i
cant change it. is this some sort of error? i should be able to change it,
and also i should be able to go to another page, simply by typing it in.
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:50:05 -0700, "shaz"
wrote:

hello, i have a similar problem and i dont want to create a new thread for
it. in, my old version of word, 2000 i blieve it was... the page number, line
number etc were not blanked out. so if i wanted to go to page 32, for
example, i could just type 32 in the box and press enter. i dont seem to have
this function in word 2003.

i tried to do what you guys have done, and go to tools - general etc. but
it seems my "background repagination" is already ticked, but greyed out so i
cant change it. is this some sort of error? i should be able to change it,
and also i should be able to go to another page, simply by typing it in.

When you're in Page Layout view, "background repagination" is always
checked and grayed out -- that view requires repagination in order to
display anything at all. So that much is correct. You can uncheck that
option only if you switch to Normal view or Outline view.

To go to a particular page, either double-click the page number in the
status bar or press Ctrl+G to get the GoTo dialog. That's where you
can type in the page number to go to. When you click OK, Word will
paginate only as much of the document as necessary to find that page.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
shaz

hello, thank you for this. i understand how this works. however, was there
not an option in the old office where you could just type in the number of
the page in a box, (like say the size box where you could choose say 34%),
and it will go to that page?

wrote:

[...]

Jay Freedman

I've used every version of Word for Windows since 2.0, and I don't
remember that kind of control in any of them. You can do that in Adobe
Acrobat Reader, and maybe in other programs, but not in Word.