CambridgeInstallationDummy

Default MacOSX user: do i need2uninstall Word98 before i can run Word2003

I bought a copy of MicOffice2003 for Mac and just want to install Word2003
onto my computer for the time being. I did a custom install, which worked
fine, but when I clicked on the Word application icon to open it, it would
try for a minute but close. Did this every time. My computer runs
MacOSX-Panther and has enough 900+RAM available so that's not the problem. Do
I need to uninstall Word 98 before I'll be allowed to open Word2003? And is
there any risk of my losing Word98 documents if I uninstall Word98, try to
install Word2003 and still am unable to open Word2003? (I don't have the
Word98 software anymore...)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!
Daiya Mitchell

No, you must have bought Office 2004, cause 2003 is a Win version.

You do not have to uninstall Office 98, that is not causing the problem.
Your description of the problem confuses me, but work through the standard
Word troubleshooting fixes, listed here.
http://word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/TroubleshootingIndex.htm
(hit refresh a few times in Safari, or use a different browser)

If that does not fix it, please repost to a Mac-specific newsgroup for
further help:
See here for gateway to Mac-specific ngs:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/