Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jeffyjones

Default How do I multiply non-adjacent columns in a Word table?

I have a table with five columns:

Col-1: Item name
Col-2: Per unit cost
Col-3: Modifier (if cost is per-hour or per-other unit)
Col-4: Quantity
Col-5: Invoice Cost

The problem I am having is that I am trying to multiply Col-2 by Col-4 in a
field in Col-5 and I can't get it to work. I am using the "=PRODUCT(LEFT)"
formula for Col-5.

The formula does work when I put a number in Col-4, so this makes me think
the formula only works for adjacent columns.

Is there a formula I can use to acheive what I want without using literal
cell references (i.e '=PRODUCT(B2,D2)'). I can't use this because we have all
the items on the table and the salespeople just delete the ones they don't
want in there.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

If you want to multply non adjacent columns, you cannot use that formula,
you will have to use = b# * d#

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"jeffyjones" wrote in message
news
I have a table with five columns:

Col-1: Item name
Col-2: Per unit cost
Col-3: Modifier (if cost is per-hour or per-other unit)
Col-4: Quantity
Col-5: Invoice Cost

The problem I am having is that I am trying to multiply Col-2 by Col-4 in
field in Col-5 and I can't get it to work. I am using the "=PRODUCT(LEFT)"
formula for Col-5.

The formula does work when I put a number in Col-4, so this makes me think
the formula only works for adjacent columns.

Is there a formula I can use to acheive what I want without using literal
cell references (i.e '=PRODUCT(B2,D2)'). I can't use this because we have
all
the items on the table and the salespeople just delete the ones they don't
want in there.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jeffyjones

So I have to put specific cell designations in the formula? There is no way
to reference just the column so the same formula will work on all rows?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

To see more than you wanted to know about field codes, see macropod's Word
Field Maths 'tutorial', at:

http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442