Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bryn Olew

Default Creating multiple indexes in a document (subject, authors, etc)

I need to create multiple indexes for a document, i.e. a subject index, an
entries to specific items and not just the page on which the entry appears.
Is this possible? I'm using Office Word 2003. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Unfortunately, there is no built-in way to create a hyperlinked index,
if that's what you are trying to do.

However, it is possible to create multiple indexes. An index is
in fact an INDEX field, which collects information from XE fields in
the document; each XE field defines a separate index entry. And you
can mark for several different types of indexes by adding the \f
switch to your index entries.

To display XE fields, show hidden text. For your authors, you'll see
something like { XE "Author name here" }. Just add the \f "a" switch
to the end of the code: { XE "Author name here" \f "a" }. Repeat this
procedure for each type of index entry, adding an \f switch and a
"category letter". For subjects, you could use \f "s".

Then insert an index: Press Ctrl+F9. Word inserts field delimiters,
{ }. Type INDEX \f "a", and press F9 to update. For the next type of
index, repeat the procedure, using the \f switch followed by the
corresponding letter.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bryn Olew" wrote in message
I need to create multiple indexes for a document, i.e. a subject

index, an

entries to specific items and not just the page on which the entry

appears.
Is this possible? I'm using Office Word 2003. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bryn Olew" wrote in message
I need to create multiple indexes for a document, i.e. a subject

index, an

entries to specific items and not just the page on which the

entry
appears.
Is this possible? I'm using Office Word 2003. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Thanks, Stefan. I've wondered about that for years. One more question. The
book is long, and I want readers to go to things by page - like I compose
"And Cross made other errors - see pages 67, 324 and 467" not "See chapter 8
beginning, chapter 12 middle and chapter 18 1/3 way through" How do I mark
the text here and there so that "67", "324" and "457" stay updated as I edit
the text?
Qumranandy

"Bryn Olew" wrote in message
I need to create multiple indexes for a document, i.e. a subject

index, an

entries to specific items and not just the page on which the entry

appears.
Is this possible? I'm using Office Word 2003. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Thanks, Stefan. I've wondered about that for years. One more question. The
book is long, and I want readers to go to things by page - like I compose
"And Cross made other errors - see pages 67, 324 and 467" not "See chapter 8
beginning, chapter 12 middle and chapter 18 1/3 way through" How do I mark
the text here and there (here or there?) so that "67", "324" and "457" stay
updated as I edit the text?
Qumranandy

"Bryn Olew" wrote in message
I need to create multiple indexes for a document, i.e. a subject

index, an

entries to specific items and not just the page on which the entry

appears.
Is this possible? I'm using Office Word 2003. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Dear Suzanne,
Thanks, but it didn't work. I went to a section that I reference quite a
bit and created a bookmark named "haplographies3". Then I went to one of the
reference texts and changed "See to 7,34-35" (column 7, lines 34-35; I edit a
manuscript consisting of columns and lines) to See {haplographies3}. I then
printed out the page, and saw "See to" where I had inserted the
cross-reference.
qumranandy

"Bryn Olew" wrote in message
I need to create multiple indexes for a document, i.e. a subject
index, an
entries to specific items and not just the page on which the entry
appears.
Is this possible? I'm using Office Word 2003. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't see how you expected {haplographies3} to do anything (even if you
inserted the braces using Ctrl+F9). You need a PAGEREF field, which you will
get if you use Insert | Reference | Cross-reference, instead, selecting
Bookmark as the reference type and Page number for "Reference to."

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Insert bookmarks within or around the referenced text. Then insert a

PAGEREF
field using Insert | Reference | Cross-reference to Page number of

Bookmark.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Bryn Olew" wrote in message
I need to create multiple indexes for a document, i.e. a subject
index, an
entries to specific items and not just the page on which the entry
appears.
Is this possible? I'm using Office Word 2003. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Sorry, Suzanne; I responded to hastily. I got it to work. I changed "See to
7,34-35" to "See page", then I understood what the number was that pops up
when I insert the crossreference - it's the number of the page of the
bookmark. Thanks.
Qumranandy