Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Katie Katie is offline

Default Merging documents

Hi, and thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I apologize if my
question has been addressed, but I'm on a deadline, and I need help ASAP.

Here's my problem: I'm trying to switch from merging files in WP51 to
merging files in Word, which I can't figure out how to do. In WP51 I have a
"shell" and a "database". The shell contains all the field prompts in the
database, and all I have to do is delete the fields that don't apply for the
particular client I am creating the document for and merge the files. Only
the fields remaining in the shell will be merged from the database. The
shell is my primary file and the database is merged into it.

I can, of course, open this shell and database in Word, but, of course, they
don't merge. I've tried ALT + F9 to insert merge fields like Field 1, Field
2 into the shell and database, but then when I select "Merge Document" from
the Tools menu, it tells me I have "unmarked" and "untracked changes". What
do I need to do?

Again, thank you so much for any help you can give me.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

First of all, "Merge Document" is the wrong option (it's to do with merging
two versions of a document into a sngle new document). You need the
MailMerge options which you will find under Tools|Letters and Mailings in
Word 2002/3.

You may need to reconstitute your data file. I don't know much about that
but you may find the following article helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211702/en-us

Peter Jamieson