Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
D D is offline

Default How do I rotate an entire table not just the text?

Someone rotated the table so it is landscape but the page isn't. I can't
change it back, bit I'm sure it's possible.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi D,

The simple solution would be to format that page as landscape.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"D" wrote in message
| Someone rotated the table so it is landscape but the page isn't. I can't
| change it back, bit I'm sure it's possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
D D is offline

I guess my question and explanation was confusing. I don't want the page to
be landscape, but even if I change the page layout to landscape the table is
still rotated 90 deg counter clockwise. If I change the text direction so it
is upright, the table is still wrong. I want to rotate the entire table so I
can format it to fit onto one page that is portrait. When the document was
changed by one of the editors they managed to rotate the table so I'm trying
to figure out how to rotate it back. I can save two pages (I have a page
limit) by just reformating the table - also it looks better visually if all
the pages are portrait.

"D" wrote:

Someone rotated the table so it is landscape but the page isn't. I can't
change it back, bit I'm sure it's possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi D,

It sounds as if what you want to do is to transpose the columns and rows.
Correct? If so, the simplest way might be to copy & paste the table into
Excel, do the transposition there (i.e. copy the pasted table, select a new
destination and use Edit|Paste SpecialTranspose), then copy & paste back into
Word.

Alternatively, there was a post in these NGs a while back with a macro to do
just that, provided the table had nothing fancy (eg no merged cells,
autoshapes, table-based field formulae, etc). You can find it at:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...re-turned.aspx

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"D" wrote in message
| I guess my question and explanation was confusing. I don't want the page to
| be landscape, but even if I change the page layout to landscape the table is
| still rotated 90 deg counter clockwise. If I change the text direction so it
| is upright, the table is still wrong. I want to rotate the entire table so I
| can format it to fit onto one page that is portrait. When the document was
| changed by one of the editors they managed to rotate the table so I'm trying
| to figure out how to rotate it back. I can save two pages (I have a page
| limit) by just reformating the table - also it looks better visually if all
| the pages are portrait.
|

| "D" wrote:
|
| Someone rotated the table so it is landscape but the page isn't. I can't
| change it back, bit I'm sure it's possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Rae Drysdale Rae Drysdale is offline

It's strange, but if your cursor is in the table (any cell) when you change
page set to landscape only the table rotates. However, you get a totally
different effect if your cursor is *outside* the table, eg at the bottom of
the page. Switch on non-printing characters to see. Hope this solves your
problem.
--
Rae Drysdale