Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Davack Davack is offline

Default Retaining "Personal Info" on LATER drafts (Word 2007 only)

I *can* use Prepare|Inspect to delete Document Properties and Pers. Info.
However, I want to be able to have the ability to have *subsequent*
drafts/changes show the author name and date/time. I cannot find any way to
do this in Word 2007 (but I can in Word 2003). I have tried the following:
(a) I found no setting in Word Options to allow future pers. info. to remain
in the document; (b) I found that using "save as" to create a new document
still rids that new document of the pers. info for future drafts; (c) I found
that creating a new document by opening the original document from the hard
drive as "read only" stills rids the document of the pers. info for future
drafts.

In Word 2003, one needed to just "uncheck" the box entitled: Remove Pers.
Info from properties on Save. (In Tools|Options|Security; also, in Save
As|Tools|Security Options)

The Word 2007 Trust Center Privacy has that option, but as a "ghosted"
checkbox, which says this feature is NOT available on Word 2007.

So how do I get the same result: I want my future drafts, on occasion, to
retain the information about author and date/time.

Thank you.

David
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

The Remove personal information from properties on save check box is grayed
out until the first time you run the Document Inspector with the Document
Properties and Personal Information check box checked and click Remove All.
At that point the check box is automatically checked. If you don't clear the
check box, document properties will not be saved on subsequent revisions and
saves.

Whenever you want to view the document properties in subsequent drafts, just
clear the check box, reenter data re author, title, etc. and save the
document. Prior time information is, however, lost.

"Davack" wrote:

I *can* use Prepare|Inspect to delete Document Properties and Pers. Info.
However, I want to be able to have the ability to have *subsequent*
drafts/changes show the author name and date/time. I cannot find any way to
do this in Word 2007 (but I can in Word 2003). I have tried the following:
(a) I found no setting in Word Options to allow future pers. info. to remain
in the document; (b) I found that using "save as" to create a new document
still rids that new document of the pers. info for future drafts; (c) I found
that creating a new document by opening the original document from the hard
drive as "read only" stills rids the document of the pers. info for future
drafts.

In Word 2003, one needed to just "uncheck" the box entitled: Remove Pers.
Info from properties on Save. (In Tools|Options|Security; also, in Save
As|Tools|Security Options)

The Word 2007 Trust Center Privacy has that option, but as a "ghosted"
checkbox, which says this feature is NOT available on Word 2007.

So how do I get the same result: I want my future drafts, on occasion, to
retain the information about author and date/time.

Thank you.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Davack Davack is offline

Your reply (a) totally answered my question and (b) was written in a clear
and concise manner. Thank you!

I do have a suggestion for Microsoft: The balloon message at the checkbox
on the Trust Center says something like "this works only if the document was
CREATED in an earlier version of Word". That is misleading (at least it
misled me). I created the document in Word 2007. I was checking my ability
to "restore" the personal information before I ran Document Inspector -- and
it was grayed out. I realize now that IF I had run Doc. Inspector and then
come back it would have been active. But I was deterred by the message about
"being created in earlier versions".

David