Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BarryH BarryH is offline

Default Why does ruler only show 7 inches?

I use Dell furnished MS Word 2003. When I open to a new doc window the ruler
only shows 7 inches w/ a tab stop near 6.5. I would like the full default
ruler to return. Apparently, someone in family changed it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

The total length of the Ruler is determined by the Paper Size specified in
Page Setup, so if someone has specified a paper size that doesn't have an
8.5" width (Letter or Legal) the Ruler won't display as a full 8.5".

Also, the white portion of the Ruler indicating the printable area has the
gray margin space to the left & right of it. That gray area indicates the
current margin widths, but the spot where the L margin sits & the printable
area begins is essentially the "zero point" for the rest of the Ruler. If
you're just looking at the right end you won't see 8.5 displayed, you have
to add the L margin amount to that.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"BarryH" wrote in message
I use Dell furnished MS Word 2003. When I open to a new doc window the
ruler
only shows 7 inches w/ a tab stop near 6.5. I would like the full default
ruler to return. Apparently, someone in family changed it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Well, that explains it - neither the margins nor the Ruler area that
indicates their size appear while in Normal View. If you switch to Print
Layout View the additional Ruler area will reappear along with the left &
right margins.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you in Normal or Print Layout view?

so
all may benefit.

"BarryH" wrote in message
I use Dell furnished MS Word 2003. When I open to a new doc window the

ruler
only shows 7 inches w/ a tab stop near 6.5. I would like the full
default
ruler to return. Apparently, someone in family changed it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BarryH BarryH is offline

LCT, Thanks! I am a new Senior to all this. Some things just change w/ no
warning it seems. Now, I'll figure out how ro get to Print layout. I am glad
I discovered this site. I am sure more problems will come.

"BarryH" wrote in message
I use Dell furnished MS Word 2003. When I open to a new doc window the
ruler
only shows 7 inches w/ a tab stop near 6.5. I would like the full
default
ruler to return. Apparently, someone in family changed it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BarryH BarryH is offline

I tried all Views on View drop down and found I was in Print Lyout Vie
already. In none of the views did the ruler change. It isn't a problem for me
but my wife needs the full ruler for designing work forms. I generally just
take one of her old ones and do a Save As but now that doesn't even work.

"BarryH" wrote in message
I use Dell furnished MS Word 2003. When I open to a new doc window the
ruler
only shows 7 inches w/ a tab stop near 6.5. I would like the full
default
ruler to return. Apparently, someone in family changed it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Have you checked the margin settings? You can't work anywhere but in the
document body (that is, between left and right margins), so that's what the
ruler shows.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Well, that explains it - neither the margins nor the Ruler area that
indicates their size appear while in Normal View. If you switch to Print
Layout View the additional Ruler area will reappear along with the left

&
right margins.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you in Normal or Print Layout view?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"BarryH" wrote in message
I use Dell furnished MS Word 2003. When I open to a new doc window

the
ruler
only shows 7 inches w/ a tab stop near 6.5. I would like the full
default
ruler to return. Apparently, someone in family changed it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BarryH BarryH is offline

For some reason I can't even change the margin. Nothing seeems to give me the
ful ruler. By the way I was in Print layout mode rather than normal. Thanks
for your reply.

"BarryH" wrote in message
I use Dell furnished MS Word 2003. When I open to a new doc window

the
ruler
only shows 7 inches w/ a tab stop near 6.5. I would like the full
default
ruler to return. Apparently, someone in family changed it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are unable to change the margin using Page Setup?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you checked the margin settings? You can't work anywhere but in the
document body (that is, between left and right margins), so that's what

the
ruler shows.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"BarryH" wrote in message
I use Dell furnished MS Word 2003. When I open to a new doc

window
the
ruler
only shows 7 inches w/ a tab stop near 6.5. I would like the

full
default
ruler to return. Apparently, someone in family changed it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BarryH BarryH is offline

Suzanne,

I appreciate your efforts to help an old senior. I was able to change the
margin from page set up. Is 1.25 the default seting for both right and left
margins in word? Can I make this defaulr different to help my wife w/ her
work forms hospital)?

"BarryH" wrote in message
I use Dell furnished MS Word 2003. When I open to a new doc

window
the
ruler
only shows 7 inches w/ a tab stop near 6.5. I would like the

full
default
ruler to return. Apparently, someone in family changed it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you in Normal or Print Layout view?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.