Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wowbagger Wowbagger is offline

Default Can't change margin in layout view

I have a document with .5 .5 .5 .5 margins that display correctly in every
view except for page layout - when viewing in layout mode I cannot get Word
to treat the document as an 8 1/2 x 11 page.

How can I correct this issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Is the issue that there appears to be no margin at the top and bottom of the
page? If that is the case, move the mouse cursor to the junction between
two pages until the mouse cursor changes to two vertically opposed arrows at
which point you should get a tooltip appearing with the message
"Double-click to show white space". Double click with the left mouse
button.

There is also a setting for this under Options, but you did not say what
version of Word you are using and the location differs by version (at least
with 2007)

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Wowbagger" privacy, please wrote in message
I have a document with .5 .5 .5 .5 margins that display correctly in every
view except for page layout - when viewing in layout mode I cannot get Word
to treat the document as an 8 1/2 x 11 page.

How can I correct this issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wowbagger Wowbagger is offline

This is in Word 2007.

The problem I am having is with the left/right margins:

When in print layout (and print preview) the page appears to be your
standard, run-of the mill letter-sized document. The fanciest aspects on
the page are some centered text and a few bulleted paragraphs. No images,
no tables, no hyperlinks, nothing that I can think of that would make a
difference.

When I switch to web layout the page size changes itself: the ruler at the
top indicates the page is 10 1/2 inches wide (even though the ruler in print
layout says 8 1/2 inches wide) and when I grab the right edge of the white
space on the ruler (with the cursor changing to a left/right arrow) and drag
the paper size back to what it should be it snaps back as soon as I release
the mouse button.

Shouldn't the margins be the same regardless of which layout you are
viewing?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

In a web page (HTML), there is no such thing as a page the way you think of
a page. In a document, the page corresponds to the paper size (so A4 or
Letter, for example). But in a Web page, what do you consider as a page?
Basically, you consider a screen as a page. But there are many different
screen sizes displaying at many different resolutions. So it is necessary to
define your web page size , usually 1024 or 1280 pixels wide. (1024 will fit
most PCs including Netbooks, so is a good choice if you want please the
maximum number of user.) Word is not a good choice for creating web pages
though.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wowbagger Wowbagger is offline

Is there any way to specify that the page has to print out on letter sized
paper even though it is a web document?

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Not in the HTML document, only by selecting Letter in the printer settings.
You can see this by opening a web page in Internet Explorer (one with a long
page that you have to scroll down), then select File, Page Setup and choose
Letter, then select File Print Preview. You can now make minor changes in
where the page will break by moving the Top/Bottom margins using the mouse.

Terry

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wowbagger Wowbagger is offline

The page will print out on letter-sized paper but it prints out as landscape
with the centered text centered on the landscape orientation and the rest of
the text shrunk to fit on the page.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

What does it look like in Print Preview? I'm at a loss why a portrait page
is printing in landscape. Is the Printer setup correctly.

Terry

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wowbagger Wowbagger is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
What does it look like in Print Preview? I'm at a loss why a portrait page
is printing in landscape. Is the Printer setup correctly.

Print preview in every layout except for the web layout displays correctly.

Terry

[...]

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my
services on a paid consulting basis.

"Wowbagger" privacy, please wrote in message
I have a document with .5 .5 .5 .5 margins that display correctly in
every view except for page layout - when viewing in layout mode I
cannot get Word to treat the document as an 8 1/2 x 11 page.

How can I correct this issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I can only suggest that you are attempting a layout that Word doesn't do
well in HTML (which is quite a lot, unfortunately).

Terry