Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
bryant40 bryant40 is offline

Default How can you automatically create footnote citations

Using Office 2007 I would like to use the "Insert Citation" tab to
automatically add footnotes without having to type them in again. Is it
possible? I tried the different types of citations but none add the footnote.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi bryant40,

Rather than repeating footnotes, standard practice is to cross-reference them. In Word, you can do this via Insert|Cross-Reference
and choosing 'footnote' from the 'reference type' dropdown.

--
Cheers
macropod

"bryant40" wrote in message news
Using Office 2007 I would like to use the "Insert Citation" tab to
automatically add footnotes without having to type them in again. Is it
possible? I tried the different types of citations but none add the footnote.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
bryant40 bryant40 is offline

I'm afraid I was not clear.

What I want to do is type in the information in the Reference|Insert
Citation box and then have it produce a footnote (which it does not seem to
do) and a bibliography reference at the end (which I think it does do).

While it produces inline references I want actual footnotes such as from
Turabian.

Sorry for your trouble but I did not mean typing in the same footnote. I
mean typing in t he information in one place and having an automatically
generated footnote and bibliographic reference.

Thanks for your help,
Bryant

"macropod" wrote:

Hi bryant40,

Rather than repeating footnotes, standard practice is to cross-reference them. In Word, you can do this via Insert|Cross-Reference
and choosing 'footnote' from the 'reference type' dropdown.

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

"bryant40" wrote in message news
Using Office 2007 I would like to use the "Insert Citation" tab to
automatically add footnotes without having to type them in again. Is it
possible? I tried the different types of citations but none add the footnote.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi bryant40,

AFAIK, if you want the citation to appear in a footnote, rather than in-line with the text, you need to first create the footnote
then insert the citation into that.

--
Cheers
macropod