Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steven Seelig

Default Multiple User log in

I have two users with separate log-ins. I installed Office 2003 Professional
Edition on the computer (with Windows XP). Everyting works fine for one user.
However, the second user gets a "Run type 53" error every time Word is
opened. The settings are the same for both users (except for the the locator
for my documents). Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
--
Steven
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 17:30:03 -0800, "Steven Seelig"
wrote:

I have two users with separate log-ins. I installed Office 2003 Professional
Edition on the computer (with Windows XP). Everyting works fine for one user.
However, the second user gets a "Run type 53" error every time Word is
opened. The settings are the same for both users (except for the the locator
for my documents). Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Startup problems are usually due to corruption or errors in the
Normal.dot template, add-ins, or registry entries
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...peningWord.htm).

Although the users are sharing the Word executable, each user has a
separate User Templates location (usually Documents and Settings\user
name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates) and a separate location
for add-ins (usually C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application
Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup), plus a separate set of registry entries
under HKEY_USER that is loaded into the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive during
login. That means one user can have a problem while other(s) don't.

The article I cited has steps for tracking down the cause of the
problem. Although the error numbers are inscrutable, a "run time
error" usually means there's a macro in an add-in that contains some
kind of mistake.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steven Seelig

Thanks Jay,

I found that there were 2 templates with programmers names from 1998 in the
"Start UP" folder. Once I deleted these the problem was solved.

Again thanks for your help.
--
Steven